• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chilli plants - leaf curl / curling upside down?

Noticed this evening a number of the chilli plants were exhibiting leaf curl / leafs curling upside down, mostly new growth / growing tips.

I think they are getting enough water as there is no leaf droop lower down the plant and there is a little run off from each bag at the end of each day (the solar auto drip watering system waters them every 3hrs in daylight).

They are in a greenhouse, I've added shade cloth (50%) to two sides that get the most direct sunlight during the hottest part of the day and have been opening the doors a bit each morning.

Theres no discolouration or singing to the leaves. They have had weak strength vegetative growth feed in the irrigation tank (about 25% strength).

There are no obvious pests.

They seem to be ok in the mornings and then be like this in the evenings so i think it's possibly heat stress due to day time temps of 28-30C air temp outside.

However I have noted that some of the flower buds seem to have yellowed and died off before they have properly formed.

Thoughts?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Photos below:
image https://us.v-cdn.net/6030279/uploads/editor/3c/6farxoqvyqkf.jpg

image https://us.v-cdn.net/6030279/uploads/editor/ld/318bgunl8zxf.jpg

If you're watering every 3 hours, then you are most certainly overwatering.  Especially if there is runoff.  

Just curious why you're on that cycle?

The irrigation is a cheap solar system that auto waters every 3hrs during daylight hours, you can adjust the amount it waters however. I understood that they like moist soil, with watering from the soil rather than the leaves but to reduce water and allow a watering / drying cycle once the fruits are forming?

When I say runoff I mean there are a few drips from each bag on an evening. I'm using fabric bags and the compost / coca coir mix isn't very dense. The soil feels dry on top surface but moist from 1-2cm down but not wet. It's almost like I'm inadvertently running an NFT system...

The plants in question seem to mostly be the Habanero and the scotch bonnet. The Jalapeño and Apache seem fine.

They seem to have curled their leaves by late afternoon and seem to have returned to normal by the morning.

I open the greenhouse doors each morning to try and keep the temps down.

I'm mostly worried about the yellowing of the developing flowers.

I've attached a couple of photos of the leaf turning, yellowing flowers and when they have recovered in the morning.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_9998.JPG
    IMG_9998.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_9991.JPG
    IMG_9991.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_9993.JPG
    IMG_9993.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 99
Ill second that. Pepper plants dont like that much water. They need well draining soil and water sparingly. In 95 degree heat I water my raised beds every 4 days or so and not a soaking. My buckets are at about 3 days right now but up to every 5 days for each depending on conditions.

More posts on here are related to issues and questions related to over watering Id say than any other topic. Whether its apparent or not. Usually attributed initially to disease, pests, ferts, you name it but in the end its probably 99% just too much water.(in my opinion)

Back