• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chillis 'splitting' at the end

HI all,

I've just started growing chillis and have successfully grown them from seed to the point where I now have 10 individual plants (two different varieties) around 20-30cm tall and starting to sprout chillis.

I've just noticed on some of the chillies that are now around 3-5mm long, they have 'split' open at the end. This of course means they won't grow any more, but I'm wondering why/how this has happened? Is it not enough water? Or is it because in my part of the world, Autumn has just started and the weather has started getting a bit cooler?

I was hoping for the plants to bear some fruit before the cold weather really sets in, but not sure if they will now....

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Pictures would be helpful.

Last summer several of the pods on my plants started splitting open, and it was because we were having too much rain - the plants were uptaking too much water, so the pods split. If that is the case, they will possibly form "scars" where the skins split, but the pods will continue to grow. Certain varieties, such as the Congo Trinidad, did this much more than others. Also, were they possibly over-ripe? Part of why the plants produce pods at all is to bear seeds, and of course, the pods have to split open to disperse the seeds. Do either of these sound like what's going on with your plants?

Without pics it's hard to diagnose.

Over watering is my first response too... I've never seen this in chilis, but I've seen it in fruit, and other veggies...

Makes sense that the same principal would carry over to peppers.

Back