• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chiltepin and Tepin

What's the difference between the two? Some call it the same pepper, other places have them listed seperate. Pics at Tomato Growers.com have Tepin shown (round,pea shaped) and Chiltepin (more oval/little longer). Is there a difference? other than shape, if so, any growth habit differences?

From the plants I've seen growing wild in South Texas, the piquins (pequins) also tend to grow taller/more upright.

pro·lif·ic/prəˈlifik/
Adjective:
  • (of a plant, animal, or person) Producing much fruit or foliage or many offspring. I had to look that up and see what it meant. :rofl:

Yup I agree---different name for the same plant; :confused: Too many names for the same plants :doh:

I do not have a lot of experience with pepper tasting but I did get some from romy6 and they were at least as hot as the Vietnam/Thai red
http://www.chilliworld.com

Has scoville: 50,000 - 100,000 Thai pepper (Capsicum annuum) 50,000 - 100,000 Chiltepin pepper

but I had the Thai and while it is certainly 50K the Tepin is higher then them :drooling: And green Tepin is extremely hot :fireball: A lot hotter then a mature red Tepin I would say they are more 75,000-150,000 :flamethrower:

They have a nice quick bite,,, my eatin in the patch pepper while drinkin a barley pop. I like the almost burgundy M&M like ones... They also make a nice filler in a bottle of dried peppers, to fill in the empty space, and still not disappoint.

[SIZE=12pt]Sorry to come late to this topic but I’m new to this forum…[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]It’s clear to me now that Tepin is the same as chiltepin but how about Piquin?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Piquin is a very popular chile in this north part of Mexico (and maybe nationally popular which I can’t confirm).  In the other hand Tepin I know is very popular in the state Sonora and Sinaloa where they are grown in big quantities and even exported, these states are not that far away from Coahuila where I live nonetheless I can’t find Tepins here.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]So, if it is the same thing I shouldn’t worry too much… lol[/SIZE]

My pequin is a darker green and a bit more pubescent than my tepin.

Edit: Looks like my tepin isn't true. I didn't know they were suppose to be spherical. Mine look just like the pequin but smaller. Maybe I have two different stains of pequin going.

Thanks guys for the replays,

From what I gather Tepin and Piquin are similar in hotness and flavor so will try my hand at growing piquins which are the ones I’m accustom with.

Back