• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding Chiltepin Habanero Cross

What do you guys think about a cross of a Chiltepin and Habanero? Would it work? How do you think it would taste?

I am going to call it a Tepinero.

you already have it named, but you ask if it can be done?

never seen a project before it is determined if it is possible.

If it works, that seems like the most logical name to me. It's the same as naming a baby before he/she is born.

yeah it could work, but the likelihood that the Annum gene will be dominate, (in my experience anyway)
but you wont know until you try
as many on know of me i have messed about with many, some have succeeded some fail but you will never know until you try

GO FOR IT!!! get back to us with your progress sounds interesting enough to me

thanks your friend Joe

Basically, I'm just trying to find a way to grow something with the flavor of a Chiltepin (or very similar), but being the size of a Habanero. Both are common in Texas cuisine, so I figured why not try to cross them and see what happens. I've just been doing a lot of thinking, and making hot sauce using only the Chiltepin is going to be a lot of work for very little product.

Go for it! I know that there is a chili called the Rocopica, which is a cross between an Ulupica and a Rocoto. From what I've read (because I can't seem to get my Ulupica seeds to sprout!!!) the Rocopica is bigger than the Ulupica (which resembles a Chiltepin), but retains the flavor of the Ulupica. Of course, I haven't had the pleasure of testing this out myself.

As far as making the Chiltepin bigger, one of the characteristics that makes the Chiltepin such a special chili is its size. Here in Southern Arizona, especially among the Latino Community, Chiltepins are a favorite and fetch a high price when available. Many households and restaurants have jars of dried chiltepins on the table so that an individual can add one or more to their soup or meal. For many people, one crushed Chiltepin is enough for their taste. Those who like it a bit hotter might do two or three Chiltepins.

Dustin, I picked 266 fresh Chiltepins this past November and spent three days de-seeding them all. I couldn't use gloves, because they made it difficult to break open for retrieving the seeds. I saved the hulls with whatever pulp was left, let them dry, and I still use these hulls with pulp (very tasty). However, I can tell you from personal experience that a Chiltepin is pretty much a skin with very little pulp, and the vast majority of the pepper being seed. The average number of seeds I got from each Chiltepin I de-seeded (Yes, I tracked it) was 17 seeds. In other words, a Chiltepin is almost all seed surrounded by a thin skin.

I'm curious as to why it would be difficult to make hot sauce from Chiltepins due to their size. I don't know what your recipe is or will be, but I guarantee you that you'll soon discover that attempting to remove the seeds and only using the "pulp" will be a major effort with disappointing results. My favorite hot sauces are Chiltepin hot sauces I buy down in Nogales, Sonora, and they all have seeds in them. If you plan to use the whole Chiltepin, then don't worry about their size. They are easy to pick. You don't have to use scissors.

I hope this helps a little.

I use to Grow the Rocopica, I got the seeds from the guy that runs or did run rocoto.com.
Last year I accidental grew my ghost peppers next to some Tam Jalapeños I'm hoping that they didn't cross.
From what I remember reading though its pretty hard for a Chinense X Annuum to cross and not produce sterile seeds.
I wish you luck though.

Hey Wildseed! Thanks for mentioning rocoto.com! I'm going to have to check it out now. Before I do, let me leave you this question: Is rocoto.com reputable in your opinion?

Basically, I'm just trying to find a way to grow something with the flavor of a Chiltepin (or very similar), but being the size of a Habanero. Both are common in Texas cuisine, so I figured why not try to cross them and see what happens. I've just been doing a lot of thinking, and making hot sauce using only the Chiltepin is going to be a lot of work for very little product.

Yeah, they do have a good flavor. Not a bad idea imo.

Alright here is my current progress. I have 24 Habaneros and 72 Chiltepins each in 5 inch pots. They came from multiple sources and plants, in order to increase the overall genetic pool. Once the Habaneros start flowering, I'll place 2 of them in each tray so they are surrounded on all sides by the Chiltepins. Then I'll go around with my paint brush and brush each flower, making sure to spread the pollen between the two. I'll take seeds from both plants, see which ones produce the result I'm looking for, and continue the process.

Habaneros:
cross1.jpeg

Chiltepins:
cross2.jpeg

cross3.jpeg

cross4.jpeg

Overall:
cross5.jpeg

I found a guide similar to that, and I will probably end up doing a few using that method just to increase the chances of my success. However, Chiltepins literally have hundreds of flowers at once, and are very small. For me to do that to all of them would take an incredible amount of time and mostly the patience that I don't have. :)

Dustin said:
I found a guide similar to that, and I will probably end up doing a few using that method just to increase the chances of my success. However, Chiltepins literally have hundreds of flowers at once, and are very small. For me to do that to all of them would take an incredible amount of time and mostly the patience that I don't have. :)
You can mark the ones you did the more intensive manual cross with a little piece of tape around the stem of the flower to denote that they are more likely to be actually crossed seeds.

Also, I think if the cross is successful, a F1 hybrid between two parent plants is always going to be the same. The variations will occur at f2 and beyond I think. I might be wrong on this, certainly not an expert.

Back