• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Chiltepins & Piquins - How Do You Germinate Your Seeds?

On 02/14 I started several batches of Chiltepin and Piquin seeds. Most are old, some 10 years or slightly younger. I'm using the paper towel / ziplock baggie method with a heated seedling mat (about 85/f). Most of the seeds were soaked for 24 hours in plain water before going into the bag.

It took about two weeks for my Guatemalan Chiltepe seeds to sprout (they were freshly dried in November) and a few more days for Chili Parado and Chile Simojoval to germinate. Both Parado and Simojoval are 10 year old seeds, sent from a friend in Mexico. They have sat boxed all these years but still sprouted. I am surpised at the longevity of the seeds.

I had a few sprouts from a bag of dried Asian hot peppers that we use in Thai food. I thought I'd give them a shot and sure enough, they sprouted.

The remaing 10 or so bags haven't sprouted yet, still waiting ....

I've got a mini greenhouse in the spare room with 25 watt, 6500K, 1600 lumen compact fluorescent bulbs. The lights stay on 24 hours.

For those of you using paper towels, how long after the seed germinates do you transplant into soil? I carefuly put the seeds into soil with tweezers and water & mist them with a solution of SuperThrive and miracle grow.

JMHO...ditch the miracle grow...

all you really need for seed germination is moisture and warmth...

I have some wild tepins from a bush in the woods in Waco, Texas that I have grown the past couple of years...if you want some, send me a PM and we can exchange information...all I ask is that you send me a SASE

Are you suprised that 10 year old seeds germinated? While it took two weeks, they still germinated. I am floored that a 10 year old seed would produce.

How do you start your seeds? Any whacky tricks to get em going?

somewhat surprized but stranger things have happened I suppose...

my seed starting method is very simple...I use 72 cell starter trays, one seed per cell, fill up with Hoffmans seed starting mix, plant seeds about 1/4-3/8" deep lightly cover them, set starter tray in water and let it soak up as much water as it wants...usually for 30 minutes or so...then put in my germinator that is constant 86F

post number 40 of the linked thread shows you exactly how I do it...

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?16595-AJs-2010-Season-Start

ultravista said:
For those of you using paper towels, how long after the seed germinates do you transplant into soil? I carefuly put the seeds into soil with tweezers and water & mist them with a solution of SuperThrive and miracle grow.

Lay off any fertilizer for about two weeks. Chile seeds come with their own food packets for a while.

Yeah definately stay away from the Miracle Grow stuff. I have been using Ferti-Loam potting mix and my plants really seem to be liking it alot. When you go to get potting mix loom for something that doesnt have alot of garbage in it, like twigs, bark and crap. You preferably want something with good peat and perilite in it. Dont fertilize your plants until you have 2-3 sets of true leaves, then only use 1/4 to 1/2 strength at the most and I have been only using it every other watering. I have been using Jack's Classic All Purpose 20-20-20 with great results. $6 for a 8 ounce bucket, shoudl last a long time.

Also, try bottom watering, it gives great results and alot of the people on the forum do it.

Back