• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chimayo pepper

Anyone have any comments on the Chimayo pepper. Many report it as being one of the tastiest and best all-round peppers. Its got medium heat and looks pretty nice from pics I've seen. I'm already planning for next year.

From what I understand, Scotch Bonnet's are best in flavor.

I have heard of the pepper you speak of, but have yet to try it.

Has anybody grown these? I can't believe how quick they grow and how big and fast the flowers develop. They've gotta be the biggest flowers I've seen, and on a tiny plant. I'll try to get a better flower pic.

POTAWIE said:
Anyone have any comments on the Chimayo pepper. Many report it as being one of the tastiest and best all-round peppers.

Is that an Anaheim? I've never grown one, but I'm not big on Anaheims. I am going to try a Hatch pepper just because I've heard so many people rant and rave about them that I want to know what all the fuss is about, although, I've also read that unless they're grown in Hatch, NM, they're not really Hatch peppers.

Its got medium heat and looks pretty nice from pics I've seen. I'm already planning for next year.

Isn't awful? I've already spotted a couple I want to try and this year's peppers aren't all in the ground yet!

POTAWIE said:
Has anybody grown these? I can't believe how quick they grow and how big and fast the flowers develop.

Do you pinch the early flowers back on your plants? I do because I want them to put more energy into green growth before they start spitting out peppers. The theory is that you sacrifice the early peppers for more production on vigorous plants later in the season.

Pam said:
Is that an Anaheim? I've never grown one, but I'm not big on Anaheims. I am going to try a Hatch pepper just because I've heard so many people rant and rave about them that I want to know what all the fuss is about, although, I've also read that unless they're grown in Hatch, NM, they're not really Hatch peppers.

Isn't awful? I've already spotted a couple I want to try and this year's peppers aren't all in the ground yet!

I grow Hatch...they are basically glorified New Mex/Anaheims, etc... If you don't like Anaheims you may not like Hatch. They are great roasted and tossed in salsa. Funny..not Hatch unless grown there. ha ha Those Hatch folks need some ploy to get people to visit their festivals! ;)

Rock on,

Primo

Back