• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review ChimouliS Purple Scorpion

[SIZE=medium]My blog's review this week is the hottest of ChimouliS' samples and the hottest of their sauce range. Here's the content copied over for your information and enjoyment:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Hello again everyone, this week we'll be taking a look at the last of the sauces sent to me by ChimouliS.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]
2016-10-19-11-17-23.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Their purple hot Scorpion one.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Contrary to what the company say about it, however, I think it might be more correct to call this the first of their pastes as, despite being a first ingredient vinegar product, I could only get it out the bottle by using the back end of my spoon.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]
2016-10-19-11-21-10.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]And, while it is a touch more liquid than the jalapeño purée we saw a few months back, it still looks very thick sitting there on the handle. In fact, it looks almost like a jelly.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]What really gets me interested in trying it, though, is not the texture but the colour. An unusual pinky red with a touch of purple to it from the red onions and black carrots ChimouliS have used.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]And, of course, as we saw with their other sauces, they've coloured the shadowing behind the product's name to match, this time making it a sinister dark purple.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Less usual for them, however, is that they've changed the sub-heading colour as well. While all their other hot sauces declared their heat in red, the “Purple Scorpion Hot Sauce” does so in purple, doing a worryingly good job of setting it apart from the rest but making me wonder: Which is hotter, red hot or purple hot?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The makers try to answer that question by calling this their hottest and it does indeed contain a chilli far hotter than any other they have used but I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't try it out myself.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The burn comes in slowly and gradually with this one, giving me plenty of time to appreciate its sharp yet slightly sweet and almost zesty carrot, onion and distilled malt vinegar base before it eventually reaches its peak at the low end of what I call a[/SIZE]
[SIZE=300%]6/10[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=300%]Heat[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=medium]It's a far milder strength than what I've come to expect from the trinidad moruga scorpion but its still not even close to being mild. Between the initial tongue burn of whatever 7-Pot chilli ChimouliS has chosen to use and the fearsome throaty peak from the scorpion and ghost peppers, this little bottle packs the most firepower out of anything in their range, surpassing the vast majority of ghost pepper sauces in both peak heat and duration.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]But, as you might guess, the long slow build provided by the trio of super hot peppers also makes it one of their least punchy. If you're looking for a sauce with a sudden kick, you'd be a lot better off with their Salty Scotch Bonnet.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Yet, regardless of how slow it might be to do so, the scorpion pepper gives a ton of firepower to this product, despite not being a major flavour.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]No, the chilli flavour isn't so much trinidad scorpion as it is mixed superhots. The scorpion lends its acidic, fruity, almost orange-like bite to the mix, the ghost pepper gives it a deep red chilli base and there seem to be slight citrus hints from the 7-Pot/7-Pod but the overall taste is not any one chilli.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]It is, however, a surprisingly good companion for the main flavours of this product.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The high onion and vinegar content pairs well with that bit of fruity acidity from the scorpion and 7-Pot, while the depth of the ghost compliments that of the garlic and mild ginger notes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Its nothing like any other scorpion sauce or paste I have tried but it goes great on burgers and quiche and would also work well as a marinade for or even just blobbed onto meats and tofu.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I could also see it making a great addition to vegetable soups and stews, if stirred in early enough to dissolve, or even livening up salads if you can find a way to thin it out into a dressing.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]It's not my favourite of ChimouliS' range (that'd probably be their Pear and Lemongrass) but it's unique and highly versatile, making it well worth trying if you want the kind of crazy heat it provides.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I would, however, strongly recommend against getting the wedding favour bottle I had as, with a neck so thin, it was a constant struggle to get anything out at all.[/SIZE]

Back