• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Chinense ID help, please

     I bought some Elysium oxide Scotch bonnet seeds in a fundraiser auction last winter and planted some of them soon after. I managed to not kill two of the seedlings and grew them out. One appears to be true pheno , with green foliage, squat habit and pods that mature to a mustard color.
     The other plant was the polar opposite in almost all other regards. It has purple foliage, taller growth habit and pods that start purple and then turn green, white, yellow, orange and then deep red. The pods are also much denser and heavier than an average chinense. Their flavor is very sweet and fruity - like a concentrated Caribbean red hab.
 
 
Here's a pic of the whole plant. (It got severely damaged in a spring storm.)
Owmzlod.jpg

 
 
 
 
Some pods
AETN0Tn.jpg

 
 
 
 
foi1Ltn.jpg

 
 
 
 
YmwgQvD.jpg

 
 
 
 
xpAgyLh.jpg

 
 
 
 
     I don't know much about the lineage of the Elysium oxide bonnet, so I can't speculate whether this might be the product of instability. Maybe a product of cross pollination? Maybe just a mixed up seed? I've never seen anything like it before. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you!
 
Having received both phenos is a box from Hybrid Mode 01, I can't offer any insight, but I can say for sure that both the color,the physical characteristics(wall thickness, shape..) and especially the favor is quite bit different... these are markedly different pods.  The red off-pheno version, though?  That's one helluva good chile pepper.  Enjoyed that one quite a bit.
 
Interesting, I think I have a few seeds from the same source  :think: TEAM HOTT!!!
 
Might have to run a couple next season, see what I come up with? Sounds like the off pheno is a cool looking tasty keeper.
 
:cheers: Thx for sharing, Mo
 
Bicycle808 said:
Having received both phenos is a box from Hybrid Mode 01, I can't offer any insight, but I can say for sure that both the color,the physical characteristics(wall thickness, shape..) and especially the favor is quite bit different... these are markedly different pods.  The red off-pheno version, though?  That's one helluva good chile pepper.  Enjoyed that one quite a bit.
 
     I had a feeling you might like that one. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to OW that one for sure.
 
D3monic said:
I'd assume cross pollination 
 
     You're the capsicum artificial insemination guru around these parts, so you're definitely the one to ask: is it common for f1 offspring to be that vastly different from one of the parents?
 
 
hogleg said:
Interesting, I think I have a few seeds from the same source  :think: TEAM HOTT!!!
 
Might have to run a couple next season, see what I come up with? Sounds like the off pheno is a cool looking tasty keeper.
 
:cheers: Thx for sharing, Mo
 
 
 
     Definitely grow some out if you can! I'm really curious to see if this is a one off, or if there might have been more like it in the bag. Also, if you're willing to do a pod review, I'd be happy to send you a few.
 
Hybrid Mode 01 said:
 
   
    You're the capsicum artificial insemination guru around these parts, so you're definitely the one to ask: is it common for f1 offspring to be that vastly different from one of the parents?
 
 
Lol not at all but thanks,
 
Yea there can be pretty big variation. Even between the phenos. Looks at the 7pot burgundy x cgn-21500 cross I did
 
One had oval shaped pods that looked similar to cgn even slightly dark leaves, other pheno was big red pods with tails. 
 
Half the crosses I had going you probably wouldn't of been able to guess one the parents. 
 
Top