• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Chinense Maturity Level: Difference between various colors?

I was just thinking, there are some plants that turn straight to orange, and then some that turn straight to red. To add some confusion to the mix, there appear to be several C. chinense varieties that go orange, and then red. The ones I can think of are the Antillais Caribbean, Caribbean Red, Red Dominica Habanero, Red Scotch Bonnet, Trinidad Scorpion and the Nagas. I normally wouldn't pick a green pepper (clearly immature)... but what about the middle color? Does anyone have any experience with some of the above (and others) with both the middle and final colors? I'm just curious what the differences may be, including heat and taste, and whether it's a good idea to take a few off the plant at their middle color or wait until they fully ripen... I only have one plant each, and am trying to decide how to make the most of what I can get off them.

This is just my opinion, but out of sheer impatience i've eaten a few bhuts during the orange phase, and they don't seem as sweet as when you leave it to fully ripen. But just as hot.

This is just my opinion, but out of sheer impatience i've eaten a few bhuts during the orange phase, and they don't seem as sweet as when you leave it to fully ripen. But just as hot.
Hmm... it seems that in that case, the peppers must continuously get sweeter with every color stage. Interesting.

Earlier in the season, I chopped off a (shudders...) green Naga Morich--primarily because the plant was pretty small and I was removing leaves because of bacterial leaf spot, and wanted the plant to get bigger and more peppers (not use too much energy on one pepper). I was kind of curious though, because I heard they are HOT even when green... but I came out pretty disappointed (too immature, apparently). I'm still waiting for that plant to put out some more peppers (it's bigger and doing better, and has a couple so far, but they're small). The plant probably didn't care for the spring weather. I really hope some of the ones later on are a different story...

Back