• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pubescens Chinense/Pubescens cross??

I've seen a great cross probability chart on the chileman's website that says pubescens species wont cross with chinense species (or any other for that matter). I have a vague memory from last year of reading somewhere that someone had successfully crossed a pube with a chinense.

Anybody seen this, or am I nucking futz?

FiveStar said:
I've seen a great cross probability chart on the chileman's website that says pubescens species wont cross with chinense species (or any other for that matter). I have a vague memory from last year of reading somewhere that someone had successfully crossed a pube with a chinense.

Anybody seen this, or am I nucking futz?

Remember that there can be a difference between what people claim and what actually happened.

FiveStar said:
Right, as I figured.

So any clue as to why they won't cross pollinate?

They are just too different, you could compare it to crossing a mouse with a gerbil. They might look the same to most people, but they are really very different. (Maybe that was a bad example, but I think you'll understand my point)

Ah-Ha! That's what I was thinking of.

Yeah, It does make sense that they would be genetically incompatible. Pubes really do have different growth characteristics, and that whole black seed thing.

And when you look at that pic, that plant looks pretty unhappy.

You can almost hear the dueling banjos of genetic hell in the background.

lee said:
Yes saw it too on chilliman.
My pube's seeds will be pure:)

They will sure be 100% pubescens, but the different varietes of pube will cross with eachother so if you've grown more than one variety of pubescens you still might get a few surprises:)

That´s possible?

panali100.jpg

Do I remember it right that "manzana" is the spanish word for apple? So the Manzano we all know should be called Rocoto manzano or Pubescens manzano for it's size and it's apple shape? And a hab type chinense with an apple shape then is a Chinense manzano or habanero manzano?

pubes will only cross whit each other
trying to cross them with any thing else is like trying for success in mating a tiger with a trout!

Davetaylor said:
pubes will only cross whit each other
trying to cross them with any thing else is like trying for success in mating a tiger with a trout!

True. But the word manzano doesn't mean hairy ("pubescens") but apple shaped. And if someone would breed apple shaped baccatums or frutescenses in a hispanic country, let's say the Philippines or Spain itself it would also be called manzano without a single piece of pubescens-DNA.

Back