• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chinense Spices

Greetings Everyone ,

This was my first pepper grow in many years. The last time I grew peppers I grew Scotch Bonnets. I also grew what was called " De Goat Pepper ". They were from Ja , to me they were the same type of pepper , but from different areas . And Yardies being like they are , they will call something by a name they just gave it. Hence "de Goat Pepper ". It was a very aromatic pepper , with plenty of heat.

Over the years I found , when I didn't grow , Habaneros that had the things I fell in love with the Scotch Bonnet for. I also found as many at my local sources that didn't have the flavor I wanted.

This year I grew 13 different species so I could learn which might have the flavor and aroma I love so much. Flavor and aroma !! So I grew "spice" peppers also. For some dishes flavor is more important than heat to me. With other species I was looking for that blend of heat and flavor.

I had a taste of everything so far but my Trinidad Scorpions. They're just getting ripe. And from what I've heard I need to be ready when I just bite off a chunk to see what it tastes like. LOL

The main thing I've found in common is the heat level. Even on what's called a "spice" pepper. The flavor and aroma aren't the same. And the biggest part of the "hot" peppers are just that. Hot as Hell without much of what I call flavor. I know that's subjective, everyone likes something different.

That's my thoughts on this cloudy day .......

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

I know what you mean about the "Hot" peppers. I love them and the heat and punch they pack, but I grow more spice peppers than hot peppers mainly because you don't need that many super hots to get the job done. I have had a lot of the more common grown peppers you can buy and a few others, but growing your own opens up a whole new world of flavor and heat. One of my new favorite peppers so far is the Aji Angelo C. baccatum Not a ton of heat, but enough to satisfy especially if sliced fresh on salads. Very sweet for a pepper and a lot of great flavor. Another surprise is the Siling Labuyo C.frutescens. A very small and productive pepper that is very hot for its size. Very good heat when sliced and put into soups. On the flipside I grew 2 that I was disappointed in. Lamuyo C.annuum., suppose to be a sweet pepper that has medium heat, but I have yet to find any sweetness in any of them or heat. More of a small red bell pepper. I was also disappointed in my Orozco peppers, C.annuum. Not much flavor at all and for a pepper that is suppose to be "hot" I couldn't taste any heat at all. Out of the 20 variates those 2 have already been dug up and tossed they where so bad.

Errrr....

Me Too!!!

I will have 20 paprikas next year, and 20 jalapenos.

Honestly, one good 7 pot plant is almost enough heat for me by itself.

Scorpions are right up there too.

Back