• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Chinense taste?

I've been trying a lot of new varieties over the last couple of years. From the some of the mild C. annuum varieties, oddball wilds and up to the superhot C. chinense varieties, there is clearly some noticeable similarities both between and within the species. My question for all of you today is, among the C. chinense species, do they all have the similar habanero-ish aftertaste?

It's funny but I have tried A LOT of chinense varieties over the years and I still catch that taste. Granted they all have their own unique flavors (and heat) but I still taste it. Maybe it's just me...

They all have what many refer to as a pungent taste, but there are different subtleties to all of them. Kind of like tasting scotch or whiskey. If you taste enough to be able to differentiate the different note, hints, and what-nots then you are an expert, but at the end of the day it is still whiskey.

Interesting topic RTF.

I haven't had a chance to sample some of the the more exotic tasting chinenses yet: Burkina, Big Sun, Bonda ma Jacques, Harolds St. Bart, Yellow Scotch Bonnet, Yellow 7 Pod, Morouga Blend Trinidad Scorpion, but next year...

From what I have tried, orange habs and what I think was a Caribbean Red, the red had a nice but distinct fruity taste, while the orange habs have had a slightly soapy aftertaste to me, kinda like liquid Sunlight dish soap.

dvg

the burkinas are fantastic. they don't have much of the hab flavour. they are fruity and fairly mild. the red chinenses tend to be more alike than the others. chocolate and white habs have very unique flavours that are uncomparible to the other habs. after a while you can pick out the hab flavour but they are all slightly different.

the burkinas are fantastic. they don't have much of the hab flavour. they are fruity and fairly mild. the red chinenses tend to be more alike than the others. chocolate and white habs have very unique flavours that are uncomparible to the other habs. after a while you can pick out the hab flavour but they are all slightly different.

If I were to pick a habanero that I enjoyed, it would probably be the chocolate. But even then, I still get the aftertaste. I haven't tried the white hab yet but I'm going to be growing some this year to remedy that...

Back