• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chinense Top Yellowing - Is It A Deficiency?

My Chinense plants are growing great, but today I noticed that the Douglahs and one of the Jamaican Hot Chocolates are looking decidedly yellow in the new growth on top of the plant, while the older, lower leaves are dark green. The veins on the yellowed leaves are a darker shade of green than the spaces in between.
SANY0476_zps7d658d8a.jpg

Could this be a nutrient deficiency or something else intirely?

Iron deficiency. Try a small dose of iron supplement. I use ironite, which is marketed for lawns, but works fine for vegetables and it is cheap. It is a 1-0-1 fert with Iron and a bunch of other micro nutes.

Alternatively, you could have very high pH or too much Calcium binding up the iron in your soil.

Iron deficiency. Try a small dose of iron supplement. I use ironite, which is marketed for lawns, but works fine for vegetables and it is cheap. It is a 1-0-1 fert with Iron and a bunch of other micro nutes.

Alternatively, you could have very high pH or too much Calcium binding up the iron in your soil.
That sounds quite likely... I added about a tablespoon of Dolomitic Lime to each plant to increase the CA/MG, but it was probably too much. Thanks for the input!

Googling Ironite, I found this article from a Dallas newspaper that conducted independent inquiries as to the toxicity of the product, which contains lead and arsenic ores. (The source of Ironite is the tailings from the old "Iron King" mine in Arizona) Their conclusion was that if used at the recommended strength it could reach toxic levels in the soil in 5 years for lead and one growing season for arsenic. http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Ironite-Story_vq120.htm

I think I'll take a pass on this one...

there is an ironite thread on here somewhere. lots of debate.

i have used it in containers......greens plants up.

spray your plants with some epsom salt, that will improve their look.

Yikes, guess I'll skip the ironite on my veggies. Fortunately I have only used it on one or two occasions in the past.

There are plenty of other Iron ferts out there, hopefully some of them are Arsenic free. The people at Colorado State University would recommend a chelated Iron product because it won't get bound up in the alkaline soil http://www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/1608.html

Back