food Chipotles & Chicken recipe

:D

Hi, I've just signed up, from New Zealand. I've got a can of chipotles in tomato sauce. Now I know this will sound stupid to alot of you, but these are that easy to get here in New Zealand. I want to do a chicken dish with them, preferably authenticly Mexican. Has anyone got some A1 recipes?

dbrent said:
:P

Hi, I've just signed up, from New Zealand. I've got a can of chipotles in tomato sauce. Now I know this will sound stupid to alot of you, but these are that easy to get here in New Zealand. I want to do a chicken dish with them, preferably authenticly Mexican. Has anyone got some A1 recipes?

Is that like chilies in Adobo sauce??

T

willard3 said:
Tina Brooks said:
Is that like chilies in Adobo sauce??
El mismo.......the same

I love it when you speak Spanish to me. :P

In that case, I think the easiest thing is to simply chop up the chilies, pour the entire sauce over the chicken and let it stew in its own juices for about 45 minutes in the oven.

Yum.

T

Reserve about a 3rd of the can of chipotles.

Put the rest in a blender. Add 1/4 cup lime juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, 4 cloves of garlic, some cilantro leaves ( if you have those there), salt and pepper.

Put the chicken in a container and marinate it for at least 3 hours or better yet overnight.

Take the rest of the chipotles and blend them,saute some chopped onions in olive oil...salt pepper. pour chipotle in sauce pan and with nedium heat going add 1/4 cup brown sugaar 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar. simmer for 30 minutes....add any other spices you want. This is your BBQ sauce.

Grill the chicken. When it's 2/3rds done start basting it with the BBQ sauce.

Oh,,,,moving this to the recipe folder.

chuk hell said:

Put the rest in a blender . Add 1/4 cup lime juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, 4 cloves of garlic, some cilantro leaves ( if you have those there), salt and pepper.

Don't put anything in the blender or food processor, especially chipotle in adobo.

When you use a blender or food processor for garlic. onion, chiles and etc, you loose the volatiles, the reason you are using them in the first place.

Get a molcajete:

http://www.mexgrocer.com/9117.html

The molcajets does not make a nasty paste and the volatile flavors remain in what you are grinding. I always pooh-pooed this idea until I used a molcajete. Every kitchen I have been in in Mexico has a molcajete and they are cheap.

Boy Willard, that thing is pretty cool. Does it come with its on cord, or do you have to buy that seperately?

Just kiddin'. Thank You for adding the link. I've been looking for that style for quite some time. All of the molcajetes I find in the shops around my area are of the polished stone type. This is the real deal. Thanks!

Cap'n

I have a mortar and pestle but it's made of marble and I almost never use it for food. The lava rock one looks like a better deal.

I'll take your advice under consideration. Thanks for the tip.

chuk hell said:
I have a mortar and pestle but it's made of marble and I almost never use it for food. The lava rock one looks like a better deal.

The lava assist with the grinding of the peppers or whatever else you're trying to destroy. The polished marble ones are only good for bustin' up crack rocks. :twisted:

Cap'n Bones said:
chuk hell said:

The lava assist with the grinding of the peppers or whatever else you're trying to destroy. The polished marble ones are only good for bustin' up crack rocks. :D

Bwahahahahahaha!!!

chuk hell said:

Put the rest in a blender. Add 1/4 cup lime juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, 4 cloves of garlic, some cilantro leaves ( if you have those there), salt and pepper.

Put the chicken in a container and marinate it for at least 3 hours or better yet overnight.

Take the rest of the chipotles and blend them,saute some chopped onions in olive oil...salt pepper. pour chipotle in sauce pan and with nedium heat going add 1/4 cup brown sugaar 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar. simmer for 30 minutes....add any other spices you want. This is your BBQ sauce.

Grill the chicken. When it's 2/3rds done start basting it with the BBQ sauce.

Oh,,,,moving this to the recipe folder.

Chuk, this recipe sounds GREAT. I'm gonna try it this weekend. I've got some leg quarters in the freezer, and some cilantro in the garden.

I was reading a cookbook yesterday. It said that adobo meant "in vinegar"... is that true? If so, that would make most of the hot sauces in the world "adobo".

T

Chuck, we tried your chipotle/chicken/bbq sauce recipe. Dang that was good eating. I kept putting more sauce on while eating and sweating. I will fix that again.

Do you find that the "heat" varies from can to can on the chipotles? I make a wicked potato salad with chipotles in it. Sometimes it is hotter than others. Last time I heard several people saying man that stuff is hot. Wasn't any left though!!!!!

chuk hell said:
Rsome cilantro leaves ( if you have those there),

Cilantro is sometimes called coriander leaf or chinese parsley out side of the western hemisphere if that helps you find it.

Tina Brooks said:
I was reading a cookbook yesterday. It said that adobo meant "in vinegar"... is that true? If so, that would make most of the hot sauces in the world "adobo".

T

adobo is a sauce made from chilis, herbs, and vinegar. well, unless you go to the philipines. there the name includes the chicken or pork in the sauce also.

Back