chinense Chocolate Bhutlah SM from Puckerbutt

Puckerbutt has a no commercial use clause on all their seeds, so I don't go near them.  But that doesn't mean I am not wildly curious about their release of the Chocolate Bhutlah SM.  I have been following Chocolate Bhutlah for much time and really want to know how it has turned out.

Not long ago, Puckerbutt was selling fresh and dried pods.  Even though they made it clear they were selling off the seconds and keeping the best for seed production, a few people expressed discontent here at THP and elsewhere.  So am curious to know if anyone purchased the seeds from the good pods and grew them this year.  If so what do you think?

Photographs would be great too.

Summer has been weak so they're not massive like I had hoped but they're just starting to turn brown. The plant is not super productive (as I have heard) but they are all coming out very similar so the pods are pretty consistent. I tried a small one a while ago and it was very sweet with no floral taste at all. I like it. Got the seeds off pucketbutt's website last year.
68f91118aaffb4ed72b99c7e357f6700.jpg

AJ Drew said:
Puckerbutt has a no commercial use clause on all their seeds, so I don't go near them.  But that doesn't mean I am not wildly curious about their release of the Chocolate Bhutlah SM.  I have been following Chocolate Bhutlah for much time and really want to know how it has turned out.

Not long ago, Puckerbutt was selling fresh and dried pods.  Even though they made it clear they were selling off the seconds and keeping the best for seed production, a few people expressed discontent here at THP and elsewhere.  So am curious to know if anyone purchased the seeds from the good pods and grew them this year.  If so what do you think?

Photographs would be great too.
Just call it the Chocolate Bhutlah AJ ;)

I'm kidding BTW

Jase4224 said:
Just call it the Chocolate Bhutlah AJ ;)

I'm kidding BTW

Ain't going to happen. Chocolate Bhutlah is probably the most widely disputed name even though it seems fairly generic.  Bhutlah is a cool name and all, but it is right there.  Bhut x Douglah = Bhutlah.  Besides, Stand and Fire has the coolest initials for something like that: SM.  Just sounds like it hurts.

Voodoo 6 said:
gonna steer away from the puckerbutt stuff and concentrate on the seeds from white hot. gonna try a 55 gallon grow on the balcony.

55 gallon drum on the balcony... wow hope you have an elevator.

AJ Drew said:
Bhutlah is a cool name and all, but it is right there.  Bhut x Douglah = Bhutlah.
Anybody can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Steve had a video out there of him saying that it was a three way cross, with some type of Scorpion along the way too

MikeUSMC said:
Anybody can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Steve had a video out there of him saying that it was a three way cross, with some type of Scorpion along the way too

Yes.  I was talking about the name Bhutlah not the color.  I obsess over things like this, so let me ramble and you will see what i mean when I say it is confusing.  Much respect to all these developers.  I've only scratched the surface of cross pollinating and usually get horrible results.  I am a hack in that department and have the highest opinion of folk who have much better results.

OK, here goes:

When that FBI guy did his first pod review of the Chocolate Bhutlah SM, the grower (Steve / StandandFire) became sort of a folk hero of mine.  The FBI guy seemed absolutely sure it was hotter than the Carolina Reaper.  The thought that a working stiff might dethrone a champion from someone as large and established as Puckerbutt was almost romantic.  So read everything I could.  This is how I understand things.

A man named Chad Soleski.created a red pepper by crossing bhut and douglah.  Mr. Soleski and Steven Mclaurin (StandandFire) were friends at the time.  I think it was Mr. Mclaurin who nick named the red pepper the Bhutlah by combining the words bhut and douglah.  Then Mr. Mclaurin crossed the Red Bhutlah with a Red Butch T Sccorpion and got a chocolate.  However, Mr. Soleski later got a Chocolate Bhutlah with no additional crosses.  So right there is two different lineages by the same name.  Now I suppose it is possible Mr. Mclaurin attempted to cross Red Bhutlah with Butch T and it did not take.  That would explain how Mr. Soleski was able to get a chocolate without an additional cross.  I have no clue, but visually the Chocolate Bhutlah SM and Chocolate Bhutlah CS look about the same.  According to Jim Duffy they have about the same heat and taste.  Some folk have said SM is larger, but according to Puckerbutt the SM does produce some smaller pods.  They are still stabilizing for pod size as of last year when they offered fresh pods.

So at that point we have Chocolate Bhutlah SM and Chocolate Bhutlah CS.  Both names being really cool.  Sure you know the other use of the term SM.  The initials CS are used for a military grade tear gas.

Making it even more confusing, a European grower was selling seed for his Chocolate Bhutlah and said it was a two pepper cross.  I think after talking to Mr. Mclaurin changed the name to Brown Bhutlah but the thing was already being regrown by folk who continued to use the name Chocolate Bhutlah.  I call this one the Chocolate Bhutlah UK to keep it right in my head.

Then there was PepperLover's contribution.  As I understand it, she created the Chocolate Bhutlah PL unintentionally.  I hope I get this right.  She is a member here, so maybe she can jump in on this one cause it is really odd.  From what I have read, she created a Bhut x Doublah and called it the Brown Bhutlah.  She did not release the seeds herself.  Instead, she sent pods to folk for opinions.  Then seemingly out of no where seed folk were offering Chocolate Bhutlah PL seeds even though Pepper Lover had not released the seeds and called her pepper brown rather than chocolate.

Later, Pepper Lover would offer Chocolate Bhutlah seeds but without the PL at the end.  I am unclear if this is what she originally called Brown Bhutlah or maybe she sourced the seed stock. 

So now we are up to: Chocolate Bhutlah SM, Chocolate Bhutlah CS, Chocolate Bhutlah PL, Chocolate Bhutlah UK, and the Chocolate Bhutlah being sold by Pepper Lover without the PL at the end.

Not done yet.  Another member of THP, I think Crazy Hot Seeds, had a Chocolate Bhutlah and said it was his own cross.  No initials behind the name of the pepper, but lets call it CH for Crazy Hot..

So off the top of my head, I can identify 6 different strains called Chocolate Bhutlah.  Five of these are a two pepper cross.

Huge Disclaimer - I understand a few people are really hot about this topic.  I am hoping not to offend any of them.  I am just pointing to the things that folk and seed sellers have claimed.  If I have anything in the story wrong, please do reply and correct me.  Like I said, it is very confusing.

From what has been said on here in the past, I got the impression that the third parent was an accidental cross that even he didn't know the identity of.

I have no idea what strain the Bhutlahs I've been eating are but I don't think I'll be chasing down any others. They're so rich and molé flavoured, as well as stupid hot.

spicefreak said:
From what has been said on here in the past, I got the impression that the third parent was an accidental cross that even he didn't know the identity of.

I recall reading that too but can no longer find the statement.  StandandFire has since been clear the third parent was Butch T.  Maybe at first he did not share the information and later did.  But it is clear from others that getting a chocolate bhutlah out of a red bhutlah does not take a third parent.

I really hope PepperLover jumps in here because she seems to be the expert on changing color.  So many new colors for various varieties carry her initials.

I was not going to grow the Chocolate Bhutlah as there we're too many dramas surrounding it and various growers on Fb.
However I kept hearing it was the new hottest pepper going and will be hotter than a reaper.
So I purchased seeds and put it in this seasons grow.
These are from the seeds sold by Puckerbutt.

8d102356e0c03129f609de3b75334bf5.jpg

488a8bc5c77fc5e72ae591143f430e9d.jpg

Quite big pods, good plant to grow. Not as prolific as I hoped.
Will do a flavour heat test bit later and edit it in.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Iv literally just cut open one of the picked pods and it's full of placenta and oil pockets.
Iv nothing in my stomach today so only tried a sliver about 1/8 of the pod. [emoji14]
HOLEY COW instant hiccups, snot pouring out both nostrils, eyes streaming, not a floral taste, earthy kind of nutty flavour slightly Smokey, not unpleasant at all, but the heat and burn.
Iv eaten mustard mamas, big black mamas, moruga crosses, this is way hotter than the reaper all day long.
Steve Mclaurin mate that's the hottest pod iv ever had in my mouth.
The burn is unreal. One very hot pod. [emoji106]

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

MikeUSMC - Have seen this video and have shit tons of respect for StandandFire / Steve who made the video.  But I disagree with the idea of a 'real' Chocolate Bhutlah.  A real "Chocolate Bhutlah SM" yes.  But think on the "Chocolate Bhutlah CS"..

Now before I explain what I mean, keep in mind I am assuming everyone is being honest and this is as I understand it.  OK, lets look at points of view.

Chad Soleski (Chocolate Bhutlah CS) - Crossed bhut and doublah.  First got a red Bhutlah.  Steven Mclaurin (StandandFire) did name it Bhutlah, but Chad Soleski is the one who created the cross.  From that original cross came both Chocolate Bhutlah SM and Chocolate Bhutlah CS

Steven Mclaurin (Chocolate Bhutlah SM) took Chad Soleski's seeds or plant (not sure) and also got a chocolate bhutlah. 

I am sure you can see how the two men could have differing points of view on who created the thing and I can respect both despite the apparent differing points of view.  Is why I like the initials at the end.  Or in the case of things like the Carolina Reaper the Smoken Ed at the beginning.

It is also why I think a pepper registry of sorts, a numbering system, would be an excellent project.  You create a pepper, you get a number, then these things would not happen as much.  Sort of like trademarking a thing without all the grief and expense.

Back