• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Chocolate Carolina Reaper cross - F1 generation.

Last year I took Carolina Reaper seeds from a number of long-tailed Reaper pods. I grew them out this year and one plant had Chocolate pods, but with no tails. It is obviously a cross, not a Chocolate Carolina Reaper. Still, that`s interesting, at least to me! 

The aroma was clearly from a chocolate pod, such as the 7-pot douglah. What I talk about in this video is the Douglah, but, in retrospect, the Brown 7-pot and Brown Moruga share similar aroma and flavour notes. There is some sweetness and slight fruitiness as well, but the chocolate pod-type notes dominate. They are typically slight leather, tobacco and smoky, earthy aromas. The Reaper does make a slight appearance, but it is very subdued.

The initial flavour was surprisingly sweet, more so than 99% of chocolate superhots I`ve had. Then some bitterness arrived and stayed around for a minute or so, but it was tempered by the sweetness in a nice way. The flavours then became typical of a chocolate superhot, very 7-pot douglah-like. However, the sweetness hung around to temper those notes, too. A set of floral notes also were apparent. In very many ways, this was a good combination of Carolina Reaper flavours and Chocolate Superhot flavours. 

The heat came on very slowly indeed, but really ramped up to extreme levels. However, while the heat profile was very, very hot, there wasn`t much in the way of pain or aggression. The only Chocolate pepper I`ve had like that before was the Brown Moruga. The sweetness also reminds my of the Brown Moruga, as does the thickness of the pepper walls. There was also the Reaper-style burn, where it shows up in the throat and slowly moves down the throat until it`s almost behind the Adam`s Apple. The Reaper is the only pepper that has ever done that to me. 

This is a very interesting pepper, to me. It is going to be a lot of fun to grow out the F2 generation next year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6wsRYrO58s&feature=youtu.be

Very cool.  But who knows, maybe it's not a cross?  Maybe one of the varieties used to create the reaper was a brown pod of some sort?

Nice one Nigel, really hope it grows true for you and keeps it's color and heat and maybe reaper tails. Sending good growing vibes your way and I'm anxious to see how it plays out. Thanks for sharing!

At lest at the end of this one your still smiling and the end!!    Can't wait to see the F2 Pheno's of that cross.  

Spicegeist said:
Very cool.  But who knows, maybe it's not a cross?  Maybe one of the varieties used to create the reaper was a brown pod of some sort?
It`s a very fair point, but I take the fifth!!! Or, maybe Occam`s Razor might apply and the simplest argument is that it`s a cross? 

Another very good review, I bet that you will be glad when winter hits and things slow down, that way you can take a much needed break from all the super hots you have done this season and all the other less lethal varieties.
Some one here on THP should at least send you a plaque or some sort of award like a flaming Gold trinidad scorpion attached to a stand or a pin on award for all the work you have put in and all the pain you have gone through just so that everyone will know how these peppers taste and how hot they can really get. Not many people have a pallet like yours and are willing to pop a screaming hot pepper in your mouth day after day for months at a time.
At least this brown/ chocolate reaper cross was, not as aggressive and devastating as the yellow muruga or chocolate moruga you reviewed the other day, even though it was still terribly hot.
With winter on its way maybe you'll have some time for your self and will be able to play a little golf. :cheers:

George

Back