• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Chocolate Fatalii Seedlings Wilted!!

I came home to find my choco fatalii seedling wilted! I left it on the heat pad over the weekend with airflow going through a small plastic container it was germinating in. I immediately gave the seedling water. I think the soil dryed out!!

Be honest, is this batch done? I'm kicking myself so hard.

Sometimes when this happens I take a toothpick and slide it horizontally under the leaf end of the sprout to get it off the damp soil a little, especially with outdoor starts that may end up getting stuck to the soil from rain.

Buzz said:
The one that's hooked should be okay. The other one that's laying down... I doubt it will recover.
Should I keep it on the heat pad or leave it out under my T5 grow light?
kgetpeppers said:
If yours dont turn out I have a plant that is podded up and just waiting to ripen I could spare some seed from and will tell if truee

Thanks man!!

Once they sprout, you can remove the heat pad.... or you can leave them on. As long as the soil temp is no higher than 80-85° F it will be fine. The warmer soil will actually help them develop good roots. I'm hesitant to say the heat mat is what caused the other fella to give up. Almost looks more like air temps might have been too high. If they're covered, uncover them and let them breathe. The airflow may not have been enough to keep the temps inside from getting too high.

You don't need a heat pad underneath after the seeds have sprouted.  Do yourself a favor and get take them off the heat pad once they break ground.

SL3 said:
Is it just me or does that soil look saturated for a seedling?

Yeah, a little wet.

Oh, and Obeychase... not sure if you saw your PMs, but the tabasco seeds are in the mail.

Buzz said:

Yeah, a little wet.

Oh, and Obeychase... not sure if you saw your PMs, but the tabasco seeds are in the mail.

Thanks!

Also, I panicked and saturated the soil. It'll dry I guess. No more water until they get healthier and the soil drys out quite a bit.

Thanks for all your help everyone!
EDIT: Now, when I put seeds on the mat to germinate, should I set the cup of soil directly on the mat with nothing on it? Or should I put it in a plastic bag, container, etc.

I want to prevent this from happening again.

Personally, I would just set the cup on the mat without the plastic bag. You could always pick up one of those 72 cell seed tray greenhouses with a clear plastic lid if you'd feel better having them covered.

Back