• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chocolate Habanero help...

Hello chilliheads!

So I started these two Chocolate Habs about Oct. or Sept. Of last year. They are only about 5inches tall... They seem to be growing very slow. I have them inside because of winter, am I not giving them enough light? What could be going wrong, and what can I do to maybe give them a little boost?

I will try to post pictures shortly.

light, nutrients, temperature, roots, watering...

if they don't have enough light they will usually stretch out looking for it (doesn't sound like it).

nutrients they could just stop growing if they don't have enough nutrients.

if its too cold they won't grow much.

if the roots are root bound the plant will stop as it can only absorb so many nutrients.

if you watered too much and roots are rotting the plant won't grow.

Another reason is if you put them into a big pot they could be focusing on root growth instead of foliage.

but yeah pics

Thank you for the reply. Might be because I don't allow much light, but they are healthy looking plants. I water them like I should haven't given them fertilizers or anything so that could be another problem. I just ordered some Myco Blast, mycorrhizae fungi so we shall see. Here is a few pictures:

4zBXLHv.jpg

bSn5X4c.jpg

9jLSCo2.jpg

And yes they are in old soda bottles, I am cheap. Plus it's fun to see the roots. :D

Roots won't grow into the light. The plants look healthy and not stretchy but with clear containers you are keeping them rootbound. Either pot up to larger size or wrap the containers in foil so the roots can grow to the edge and you'll still be able to peel foil back to look every now and then.

Haha. I decided to take the advice of rory and toss the see through bottles. I moved them to a 5 gallon bucket where I had once grown a 4 foot tall cherry bomb. We shall see how they do now.

potting up and fertilizing will probably get them going

ThePepperTrent said:
Haha. I decided to take the advice of rory and toss the see through bottles. I moved them to a 5 gallon bucket where I had once grown a 4 foot tall cherry bomb. We shall see how they do now.

juanitos said:
potting up and fertilizing will probably get them going
I agree. My seedlings always start off small and I learned to transplant them pretty frequent and adding fertilizer sure does give them that extra boost. Good luck on your grow.

IMO, the plants look fine.  No need to fertilize, but I'd plonk them into bigger pots soon.  (When the roots reach the edge of the container, it's time.)

Even in Aridzona, you can't expect much growth in the winter.  Light is plant fuel!  Set them out during warm spells so to give them a bit more.  To avoid burning, filter the sunlight and slowly work them up to a full day of sun.

Just keep 'em healthy and growing a little, and wait until mid-late March.  With warmer weather and longer, sunnier days, the plants will explode!

Thank you fellow Aridzonian... I've got some fertilizer inbound soon. I shall do just that. Can't wait for some pods! Happy growing everyone. 

TPT

Back