• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chocolate Habs

I noticed that the Chocoate Habs seem to be a common Favorite around the group I never heard much about the until here.What is the deal,flavor heat? what? I like hot peppers but already growing Savinas. Should i concider adding Chocolates to my mix?

naganero said:
I noticed that the Chocoate Habs seem to be a common Favorite around the group I never heard much about the until here.What is the deal,flavor heat? what? I like hot peppers but already growing Savinas. Should i concider adding Chocolates to my mix?

Chocolate habs have a pretty good kick. I wouldn't put them in the same category as Savina or Naga but I think they are on par with scotch bonnets and fatallis as far as heat goes. Typical hab flavor as far as I can tell.

Just look at 'em...beautiful!!!

db_habanero_chocolate1.jpg

I've never had one though.

The chocolate habs have a totally different taste than the reds and oranges. I'm not good at describing tastes but I'd have to say less fruity and more smokey. My chocs. seem hotter than my red savinas too but need more brave tasters.:flamethrower:Ouch!

I've never shipped peppers before and don't know about international shipping but I might be able to send a dry pod. That way you'll have the pepper and seeds too. Anybody know about shipping pods internationally?

Heres a bunch I picked today, nearly 3 pounds(some a little under-ripe). I'm drying some and planning on trying some home-brewed sauces. Maybe a jar pickled too. Them are some hot raisins. "..just about to lose my mind...":mouthonfire:

POTAWIE said:
I've never shipped peppers before and don't know about international shipping but I might be able to send a dry pod. That way you'll have the pepper and seeds too. Anybody know about shipping pods internationally?
Yep. On the customs forms write "socks" or some other nondescript doo-dad in the description. Then say "oops, how that get in there?"

I was just talking to a friend and he suggested using tamarillo instead of tomatoes with choc. habs for sauces and salsas. Sounds good to me should add a more tart taste to complement smoky flavor(green sauce).
1. boil tamarillo
2.simmer chopped onions and garlic
3.mix and blend top off with some cilantro and salt

naganero said:
I was just talking to a friend and he suggested using tamarillo instead of tomatoes with choc. habs for sauces and salsas. Sounds good to me should add a more tart taste to complement smoky flavor(green sauce).
1. boil tamarillo
2.simmer chopped onions and garlic
3.mix and blend top off with some cilantro and salt

You mean tomitillos? They're weeds in my garden but I try to save a few. I stopped planting them a few years ago, and now they'd fill the garden every year if I let them. I used to grow both green and purple varieties but never tried anything with them other than mild salsa verde. I'll have to experiment this year, thanks for the tip.

tomitillos would be correct green lead covered tomato like fruit not tamarillo the little red fruit. sorry but thanks for catching my mistake. :)

Wow Derek, it sure looks like you are going to have some fun on your hands with all those...magnificent!!! Your right too about the flavor, more smoke and a little les fruit than other habs...but then again I love to smoke dry them to add even more woody and smoky flavor.

Every time I have grown chocolate habs alongside Red Savina the chocos have beeen hotter for me too.....tests at the Chile Pepper Institute concord with this observation....RED Sav is good and very hot but for me those chocoltates rule!! Mind you they are perhaps not quite as hot as Naga and trinidad scorpion and a few others but then again when its taste buds in action relative heat can be a personal thang....

As you know I grow quite a few chocolates here in France...but few total plants this year due to a house move that put paid to my normal chile patch....good newws is though that I will have a lot more room for the chiles next year.......so MORE CHOCOLATES!!!!

Raisins???? Ummmm Rum n Raisin, sounds like a plan too me!!!

Great to see those pods and looking forward to harvesting a few more here, some have started and a whole lot more just turning...I cant wait to taste them all and do this years grow report/taste tests...My CGN 22207 are just starting to brown up and I am particularly loooking forward to muching my first one this weekend..thats supposed to be a very hot one, I ll let you know how it turns out to be.

All the best

Guy

You know what Gump would say. "Life is like a box of chocolates.."

I gotta find a chick that likes habs.
Habby Valentines day honey, here's a box of chocolates. That would get her hot. LOL

Those are beautiful. The nursery I get my starter plants from had a bunch of chocolate habs but the got chewed up by rats! Otherwise I'd be growing those this year.

Rat Bastards! I am jealous!

POTAWIE said:
The chocolate habs have a totally different taste than the reds and oranges. I'm not good at describing tastes but I'd have to say less fruity and more smokey. My chocs. seem hotter than my red savinas too but need more brave tasters.:flamethrower:Ouch!

Agreed. Chocolate habs are less fruity, more smokey tasting. It's not just a psychological thing. I love chocolate habs. I've only grown them once, but I've been kind of busy with school. I will grow them again, though.

Josh

Back