• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Chocolate Reaper

A while back there was a guy/company claiming to have seeds to a Chocolate Carolina Reaper. I ended up being gifted some seeds from said company and grew them out.. this is a pretty average looking pod from the resulting plant.

bKZ9Brp.jpg

I know Chocolate Reaper exists, but I dun think that is it.  Thing is, if you bought the seed from where I think you did then that seed came with a huge disclaimer saying the merchant did not know if they would grow true.  I often buy seed I am none too sure of from folk I do not know.  I think it is fun, sometimes find something that might be new.  But I can certainly understand folk who are disappointing when things like this happen.

How does it taste?

Justecila, did you buy the seed from an Ebay seller in the UK?  I ask because I did and the pods and plants look exactly like that.  A lot of people get upset when things are not what they expect.  I think it is fun.  I think I spent like five bucks and got months of enjoyment watching and wondering.  Cheaper than a subscription to Hulu.

ajdrew said:
Justecila, did you buy the seed from an Ebay seller in the UK?  I ask because I did and the pods and plants look exactly like that.  A lot of people get upset when things are not what they expect.  I think it is fun.  I think I spent like five bucks and got months of enjoyment watching and wondering.  Cheaper than a subscription to Hulu.
My seeds came from bakerseed. Someone on FB gave me his remnants seeds purchased here.

Mine came from bakers as well. I didnt expect them to grow true by any means, just grew them for fun and thought I would share the result. The taste was bad. Tasted like scorpion to me.

I wasnt going to bother with the supplier, but i guess If they dont like it and cant stand by their product then screw em lol

LordHill said:
Mine came from bakers as well. I didnt expect them to grow true by any means, just grew them for fun and thought I would share the result. The taste was bad. Tasted like scorpion to me.

I wasnt going to bother with the supplier, but i guess If they dont like it and cant stand by their product then screw em lol
I supposed they do their best and the rest is left to nature :rolleyes:

ajdrew said:

I agree ajdrew. I'm growing peppers from seeds from the past years. Only problem is, I only marked the envelopes with the year. Not the type of peppers. It's been fun trying to figure out what they are as they grow.

justecila said:
I supposed they do their best and the rest is left to nature :rolleyes:
Of course, I didn't mean they did anything wrong. They did in fact have a large disclaimer claiming they were random and not a strain they expected to grow out. I just figured if they sell them, I guess there is nothing wrong with associating their name with them

cycadjungle said:
If you want a nasty looking chocolate pepper like this try Butch's CPR. It looks just like what a chocolate reaper should look like. Tom
I love the way he named the thing.  As I understand it, he wasn't sure exactly what they were so he used both names.

I had one chocolate reaper plant last year... it was in a battle with aphids and white flies and in the end only produced 3 pods. Here is the only pod that grew a tail. The other pods were similar, just without much of a tail. The seeds were from Bakers. I'm not sure what the light brown shoulder thing is, but suspect it was due to the bug infestation.

I'm looking forward to growing the CPR this year... and keeping the bugs in check!

wQCCObj.jpg

Cloudhand, a couple sources have CPR.  Gonna suggest ButchT.com because I think other folk are selling earlier generations which might not have been grown out the way Mr. Taylor intends.  I ordered some in from him, great germination rate at about 80 degrees and very vigorous seedlings. 

Nothing against seed dealers.  Hell, I am one.  But it kind of makes sense to get stock as close to the source as possible.  That and Mr. Taylor is one of my pepper folk heroes. I really dig how Mr. Taylor and the folk at Hippie Seed came together and now we have the Butch T Scorpion.  Much different story than any of the others who made it into Guinness.

Back