• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chocolate Scorpion sprouts!

I purchased a Chocolate Scorpion pod from a person about 2 weeks ago. I took the seeds out before using the chili and just threw them in a small pot with left over soil not thinking they'd sprout because I didn't dry them.

Well, I guess it's just my luck because I had 100% germination rate with these.

The question I have is should I transfer them into individual solo cups now? Should I wait a little longer?

Just worried that they'll get too root bound if I waited longer.

Also, should I use regular potting soil or seed starting mix.

Thanks

That's awesome man - congrats! I'm a rookie grower, so not sure what the answers to your questions are, but good luck dude 

Personally I'd let them get about 4 inches tall.  I usually don't bunch mine up that close but hav had a few in one small pile before.  They don't tangle bad at that young age and even if you tear a root or two they'll most likely be fine. 

If you do it now use a big spoon and scoop a few at a time.

Rainman said:
That's awesome man - congrats! I'm a rookie grower, so not sure what the answers to your questions are, but good luck dude 
Thanks.
Browning said:
Personally I'd let them get about 4 inches tall.  I usually don't bunch mine up that close but hav had a few in one small pile before.  They don't tangle bad at that young age and even if you tear a root or two they'll most likely be fine. 

If you do it now use a big spoon and scoop a few at a time.
Thanks for the advice. I'll let them get a little taller before transplanting.

The reason they're bunched together like that is because I literally just dumped the seed in and covered them with some soil haha.

That's how I start all my seeds, maybe not as dense. I'd wait until you get at least 2 sets of true leaves. Gently remove the plants from the pot, make sure the root ball is nice and wet and gently pull the plants apart. You'll lose some roots but they'll rebound as soon as you plant them individually in pots or cups.

I forgot to mention that when I pot up I plant them deep, up to the cots.

Nice, though nasty, babies!

I'd do as neoguy says - wait until they got at least 2 sets of true leaves. When transferring, be careful about the roots. They may got damaged very easily. You can do it now as well with a spoon but that's a risk of hurting roots.

Young sprouts are tough, you can transplant them now before their roots get too tangled together, and even if that were to happen they would be fine with careful handling.

Leave them close together for too long and they will compete for light and get lanky.

Browning's spoon idea is a good one.

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it! My main concern was that the roots would tangle but from what I'm gathering is it's not that big a deal as long as I don't wait too long.

Thanks again for the advice!

Back