Chocolate scotch bonnet but no bonnet shape?

Had some issues with flower drop on this plant and this was the only pod to form on it.  I got the plant from Duffy for free earlier this year and I found a few reviews for his choc. scotch bonnets and all had the bonnet shape.  Is it possible the stress the plant was going through while flowering could cause this to not take proper shape of a bonnet?

Gio8FX7.jpg

It is entirely possible, yes. I have some bonnets from Jim Duffy seed, too. No pods mature yet, but my grow was ultra late starting.

Nigel said:
It is entirely possible, yes. I have some bonnets from Jim Duffy seed, too. No pods mature yet, but my grow was ultra late starting.
ok good.  As you can see this is a small plant still.  From the soil line up it's only about 10" tall.

I have a jalapeño that was pretty stressed and it has round pods all over it about the size of a shooter marble and one regular pod. They are corked heavily and turning red really strange what stress will do.

Your grow conditions will impact pod shape. I have a 3-year-old douglah plant and we've had a very, very wet and mostly chilly summer. I've only gotten a handful of pods from it that are normal douglah shape and size. The rest are small and mostly round. Also, you mention that's a small plant, and I've found that pods allowed to grow on small plants are often not the normal shape or size. And finally, not all bonnets have "bonnet shape." Burkina bonnets, for example, aren't "bonnet shape" at all. So yeah, given the color you probably have what you were told you were being given. 

I had the same with my Scotch Bonnets this year. They were a different shape for the initial pods, then they got the Scotch Bonnet shape as more pods came along later in the season.

So should I avoid keeping seeds from this non-bonnet pod?  If I do, will that lower my chances for correct shape on plants grown from the seed from this pod?

Back