• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chocolates

Anyone compare the two? What was your flavor experience?

My method of testing was simply to chop the pepper in little pieces for tacos or enchiladas as usual, but try a little sliver (or a couple) before putting it in the meat. I tried the Chocolate Habanero a few days ago, and I noticed it had a light base chinense flavor, with lots of extra sweetness. I liked it; the base flavor wasn't too strong, the sweetness added to it, and it had very good heat.

I just tried the Jamaican Hot Chocolate, which seemed to have a stronger smell. It had very little sweetness, and that "base chinense" taste seemed to be very sharp, much sharper and stronger than the Chocolate Hab. Nice, and probably difficult if not impossible to tell the difference in food, but think I prefer the taste of the plain Chocolate Hab.

Neither had the unique taste of the Orange Habanero, which is both good and bad (I do like that flavor, but it's cool that there are options if you just want the heat without too much extra flavor). The Chocolate Hab made the tacos seem as hot as if I were to put 2-3 regular habs in the meat, but I won't be able to make a comparison with the Jamaican Hot Chocolate since I'm making enchiladas this time... but so far, they both seem hot enough unless I want to go for an endorphin rush.

Personally I've found that the Chocolate Habanero, chocolate scotch bonnet, chocolate Caribbean, and several chocolate congo types to be very similar or the same, and they seem to be more of a Caribbean or congo type than habanero. I never tried the Jamaican hot chocolate but it too looks very similar

Personally I've found that the Chocolate Habanero, chocolate scotch bonnet, chocolate Caribbean, and several chocolate congo types to be very similar or the same, and they seem to be more of a Caribbean or congo type than habanero. I never tried the Jamaican hot chocolate but it too looks very similar
It's hard to compare based on looks so far I'll admit, since there's varying shapes and sizes of peppers on each plant, but one thing I noticed for sure is that the Chocolate Hab seems to take forever to ripen. Then again, maybe the plant was busy at the time or something... but the Jamaican Hot Chocolate seems to ripen faster. They both began changing colors at approximately the same time though (within a couple days of each other).

While I like both, I think next year I'll probably only grow the Chocolate Hab (or maybe two of them), because I really liked the more subtle flavors and extra sweetness. I haven't tried any of the other chocolates so far, but the Chocolate Hab has certainly become one of my favorites so far.

Back