• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Christmas light frost protection

I have looked a little and not found this discussed.

I won't have time to babysit indoor plants this year because I am transferring to another base and the commute is 1.5 hours each way, plus I won't be coming home every day so I am looking for a new low maintenance solution.
I live in San Diego and will plant along the southern wall of my house. It rarely (if ever) frosts within about 4 ft of my house anyway. I ordered a Thermo Cube thermostat outlet (on at 35 off at 45 deg) and was planning on transplanting in January this year. I am still getting new growth on the plants I am overwintering outside, so I thought I would give it a shot. My plan is to string Christmas lights throughout for frost insurance. I will keep the thermo cube well away from the house where it will be coldest to ensure they come on in ample time.
I understand that soil temp is not optimal, but yesterday (Christmas) it was 75 degrees here and the plot gets all day sun exposure. I am not expecting much (if any) production until maybe March, but think I should get a pretty good start on growth???
Has anyone tried anything similar?

C'mon, how much effort is that? lol

But really, it sounds like a good idea to me.

Good luck!

Not that much effort in transplanting and setup...but I would hate to get all of those seeds started and lose them. I am pretty sure I am safe...I guess we'll see!

Back