• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Clavo - C. chinense

So I'm growing Clavos this year and they're supposed to be C. chinense but they look like another species... have you grown these before? Did they look like this?

Clavo1.jpg

Clavo2.jpg

So I'm growing Clavos this year and they're supposed to be C. chinense but they look like another species... have you grown these before? Did they look like this?

Clavo1.jpg

Clavo2.jpg

Is your concern due to the appearance of flat leaves? The bumpiness of Chinense leaves belies the plants hunger for Calcium.

I haven't grown the Clavo before though I do not see much reason for concern.

Interesting about the calcium, thanks for the tip. Basically, all of my chinenses grow smaller and more compact, this one wanted to get taller, like an annuum or a baccatum...

Interesting about the calcium, thanks for the tip. Basically, all of my chinenses grow smaller and more compact, this one wanted to get taller, like an annuum or a baccatum...

The length of the internodes is an interesting point to raise. I have a Limo Blanco NOT plant that I identified as suspect early on from the way it shot up and the leaves.

Is it possible this plant received less light than the other Chinense plants?

No, it's neighbor chinenses did not turn out this way. Perhaps this is the Clavo's genetic background making an appearance. Doesn't seem like a lot of people grow this... I'll keep 'em going and post pics of fruit in a few months...

No, it's neighbor chinenses did not turn out this way. Perhaps this is the Clavo's genetic background making an appearance. Doesn't seem like a lot of people grow this... I'll keep 'em going and post pics of fruit in a few months...

Is the plant depicted the only Clavo plant you are currently growing?

The traits of my first suspect plant included:
  • Lanky plant from long internodes
  • Annuum shaped leaves
  • Anuum like flower
  • Calyx not constricted

I started another Limo Blanco seed late in the season to see if it has the same growth habit.

I've been trying to dig up the background information on the Clavo. The best I have found thus far is on thechilewoman.com:
Salmon colored chiles with goofy bulging sides. Don't club anybody with these cudgels. Chinense. Italy. Heat scale: 9. Variety bred by Mario Dadomo (Azienda Agraria Sperimentale Stuard, Parma, Italy).

I wonder now what plants were used to create the Clavo.

Yes, Clavo is chinense, there was a mix up, so the first pics above from January are actually of an Aji Cristal (baccatum).

Thanks, it's only got 2 pods because it's grown indoors w/ less than ideal conditions, but that will be my isolated seed for next year.

Back