clay pot for a pepper plant ?

Since I have about 40 4 inch Caribbean Red plants this year I thought I would put one in a clay pot that has no drainage hole ( 5 Gal size)What do you guys think ?

Will it live and do ok or will it die ?

Clay pots dry really fast. If you were very careful about not over watering then I think you could do it. It would be much better if you had drain holes though.

I use 5 gallon plain white buckets and drill a bunch of holes in the bottom. Or, the 16" plastic pots you find at Lowe's. Southern California gets in the triple digits in the peak of summer so dark pots/containers are out of the question.

I would say you need drainage if you live in a climate where it might rain. No matter how careful you are with watering, it would only take one spell of rainy weather to rot your roots. 
     Also, drainage is useful for gas exchange in the plant's root zone. When I water my containers, I flood the soil to force all the air out of the rootball. When the excess water drains away, it's replaced with good fresh air. 

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     I would say you need drainage if you live in a climate where it might rain. No matter how careful you are with watering, it would only take one spell of rainy weather to rot your roots. 
     Also, drainage is useful for gas exchange in the plant's root zone. When I water my containers, I flood the soil to force all the air out of the rootball. When the excess water drains away, it's replaced with good fresh air. 

Yea this^ ^ ^, what the eloquent guy said.

SavinaRed said:
the only thing this potted clay pot Caribbean has going for it is that in Cali we are in a drought.

hmm, seems your right. I had to google what rain was, I guess its like where, water falls out of the sky or something I dunno I never seen it  :think: ? But his words sounded so cool, I thought he must be right.  :)

Back