• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Clipping the flowers or buds on young 4-6" plants??

I can't recall where, but I read somewhere that I should clip the flowers of the plants that are small. I have a few 6-8" bhut plants and noticed that they are starting to grow these little hanging flower pods toward the middle. Are those the things I clip off and if so when do I stop clipping and let it just grow? I also got 12 plants from that NJ nursary place and noticed a few of them growing on those plants as well. However those are a LOT smaller and are only 4-6" tall.

imaguitargod said:
Yep, that's what you clip. I usually wait till the plant is pritty big before I let it flower.

How big is "pretty big". Some of the new plants I just received are TALL, but only have 5-6 leaves. I mean it looks like it's around 6" already, but has a thin stalk and only a few leaves. Would you say 10" tall or 3-4 months old?

Sorry for all the silly questions this is my first time growing peppers. :oops:

To answer your question in the other thread, clipping the buds allows the plant to focus more on vegatative growth and root growth. Once it flowers and polinates, it's shifts it's focus to flowering and fruit devoplent.

It's best to get a well established, bushy, happy plant before letting it fully flower.

Back