• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering clone from an overwintered plant

I brought in an Orange Manzano that wasnt growing well when CT was hit by Tropical Storm Irene. Since then it has really taken off and flourishing in the window that it is in. I really like rocotos and Manzanos but, as everyone knows, or should know, they are VERY slow growers. I am wondering if I can take a few cuttings from this plant and clone it? Is there a "time" when I should take a cutting and where on the plant should I take it from? I would like at least 2-3 clones FWIW

any non-flowering new growth with more than a node or two should yield acceptable clones. it should be thick enough to be fairly stiff but not woody. i like dip-n-grow liquid for cloning solution. if you want organic then olivia's is good. i don't feel like the powders work as well as the liquids in general.

So more or less the tips of the branch or at "V" section? I was thinking of a cloning solution to get results. I have been keeping it nitrogen rich to try and supress flowering. If it has or had flower buds I cant clone it?

you can clone flowering stems but they don't generally take as well. i pick the flower buds off the chosen stem if i need to do it that way.

cut stem just below a node, trim off the leaves from that node at the stem, dip in solution, place in media (i use 90% vermiculite/metromix 360), cover to keep moist. don't keep unrooted clones in bright light.

There's no rule of thumb where to slice when propagating "pepper" cuttings.
No joke, I look for the stems that are or about to flower. I was making "Pico de Gallo" for Superbowl last year from fresh "Caribbean Reds" out of my grow room. The plant was from a clone taking in November. I sliced from the green, (never the woody part of the stem). I used rockwool with a cloning gel....works great! I have used rooting powder in the past.. and will in the future if I run out of gel. The key is to dampen the stem prior to dipping it into the powder, and also make a hole into the soil, perlite, or vermiculite ahead of time if using those mediums. I'll then set the cutting into the hole and carefully pack the medium around it. Some people try to slide the stem into the medium and all the powder comes off...... :(
When using rockwool, I prepare the cube with a ph conditioner the day before. Once planted I place the cubes in a flat with a tall dome. A clear litre size plastic bottle cut in half-ish would work for individual cubes. The key is to keep the cuttings out of strong light for a few days. Also its very important to keep the leaves hydrated. Rooting usually takes place within 2/3 wks with the optimum conditions.
I didn't fuss with pepper clones this year but shifted over more to the over-wintering.
However I've cloned about 40 "Martha Washington" Geraniums....using rooting power into soil.
But that's a story for the "other" growing forum...

Good luck with the cloning
My info is how and why I do things..........it may however, not acomadate everyone............ :(

Greg

please be sure to make "extras" like if you want to grow 20 make 30 or fourty

as some will (maybe) not make it you can always try to find places for every "extra"
the pubes will survive for a good long time on just their own juices so be patient
if you only want one try making three or five and make sure to:
use a very sharp blade
cut at a 45° angle
scratch or scrape a bit of the green stem off
trim the leaves down for less surface area
(it may help to watch a video of someone doing the other indoor plant for more pointers)
:eek:

I cloned this while fruiting and it took in about a day in hydro.

IMG_8026.jpg

Back