• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning Clone machine

I bought an EZ-Cloner and put 32 cuttings into it on 11/25. Followed the directions carefully. Today, 10 days later, there are still no roots growing on any of the cuttings.

20151205_135105.jpg

Is this normal? How long does it take, on average, to start seeing some sort of root development?

Based on the marketing materials and videos produced by EZ-Clone, I expected roots to be present already. Hopefully I didn't screw up the process, and it just takes a lot longer that stated.

So, here we are, two months later.

One, count it, one plant (a Caramel Madballz), has been (has survived two weeks) successfully transplanted.

Most of the cuttings have died; there are four left, and one is looking very poor, the others have either no roots, or one long thin, scraggly root.

My honest opinion; either I am doing it wrong, or the machine is not up to par.

Next year, I use rooting hormones and rockwool.

I built something similar to the ez cloner/clone king but didn't have good results either. Might be good for aeroponics maybe? Like with new plants using nutes? Haven't tried it though but seems like it would work.

The pot guys seem to have good luck with this type of cloner, but we are talking about different type of plants. I just built one of these , but I didn't order a big enough pump. I am waiting on the correct size pump. One thing that I am going to do is that I am going to add a fish aquarium heater to the reservoir. I will probably set it around 80 degrees (F) . I would hope the the warmer water temp. would help them root faster.

someguy said:
The pot guys seem to have good luck with this type of cloner, but we are talking about different type of plants. I just built one of these , but I didn't order a big enough pump. I am waiting on the correct size pump. One thing that I am going to do is that I am going to add a fish aquarium heater to the reservoir. I will probably set it around 80 degrees (F) . I would hope the the warmer water temp. would help them root faster.

According to the instructions i received with my unit, the optimum temperature is between 70°-75°F.

I may try my hand at remaking the sprayer assembly, I would like more of a mist than the small droplets I currently have.

alkhall said:

According to the instructions i received with my unit, the optimum temperature is between 70°-75°F.

I may try my hand at remaking the sprayer assembly, I would like more of a mist than the small droplets I currently have.

I had just read that up to 85 degrees is just fine. I used these sprayers. http://www.ebay.com/itm/200867972480?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They claim to be a mister. I won't know for sure until the correct size pump arrives. Here is a pic of my spray bar.  I didn't follow any design . I just built it to fit the container that I had on hand and installed misters here and there.I think it will get good coverage.
IMG_1133.JPG

someguy said:

I had just read that up to 85 degrees is just fine. I used these sprayers. http://www.ebay.com/itm/200867972480?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They claim to be a mister. I won't know for sure until the correct size pump arrives. Here is a pic of my spray bar.  I didn't follow any design . I just built it to fit the container that I had on hand and installed misters here and there.I think it will get good coverage.
Someguy I like those corner supports you added to the spray bar. In a tote, you might experience water running down the side. I tried everything to stop the leak, including weather stripping, gorilla tape and ratchet straps. Ultimately had to just put the tote inside a larger tote to catch the water. I made a smaller version in a 5 gal bucket that didn't leak since the lid snaps on so tightly. The supports might help in your tote since the spray bar shouldn't lean one way or the other.

I used this pump (396 GPH) trying 2 different spray manifolds with the same type misters, one having around 6 or 8 and the other 20+. The spray was more like a fine upside down shower, tiny water droplets, not really a fine mist type spray that I was hoping for.

Also, if you run the pump 24/7 that might heat the water some. I tried running 24/7 and also ran using an interval timer 1 min on 5 off, didn't seem to matter as far as results.

Peter S said:
Someguy I like those corner supports you added to the spray bar. In a tote, you might experience water running down the side. I tried everything to stop the leak, including weather stripping, gorilla tape and ratchet straps. Ultimately had to just put the tote inside a larger tote to catch the water. I made a smaller version in a 5 gal bucket that didn't leak since the lid snaps on so tightly. The supports might help in your tote since the spray bar shouldn't lean one way or the other.

I used this pump (396 GPH) trying 2 different spray manifolds with the same type misters, one having around 6 or 8 and the other 20+. The spray was more like a fine upside down shower, tiny water droplets, not really a fine mist type spray that I was hoping for.

Also, if you run the pump 24/7 that might heat the water some. I tried running 24/7 and also ran using an interval timer 1 min on 5 off, didn't seem to matter as far as results.
I added the supports to keep it from leaning. I've seen where people have had leaks and have used weather stripping , but that didn't work for you. I did order a 528 GPH adjustable pump. Hopefully that will generate enough pressure to get a fine mist out of those sprayers. I haven't glued my manifold together yet. I was wanting to see what kind of pattern I will get with the new pump.I might be able to shorten up the manifold which might keep the the water away from the sides and also prevent some leaking.

I have read that the pump does increase the water temps so I may not have to run a heater. Also from what I read it seems that most people just let the pump run 24/7. That is probably what I will do.

Since I have the day off from work I may try and build a bucket cloner. I should be able to use the smaller pump and a much smaller spray bar. I may even use parts from the current spray bar. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Update

Well I used the small 100GPH and a spray bar with only 3 misters. It wasn't really so much of a mist. More like droplets. I think I need a much bigger pump. I will keep playing with it until it works like I think it should.

2nd Update

I tried using just a riser off the pump with a single mister. I got more water out of it , but still not what you would call a mist. I am hoping that 100 GPH pump is the problem. I am also thinking of trying a single 360 degree sprinkler head. The kind you might use on your lawn.

Interesting stuff I've learned since using the EZ Cloner.

The biggest thing is that some pepper plants respond better than others. The Trinidad Scorpion cuttings I put into the cloner have about 40% success rate, and by "success" I mean being able to push out a few tiny little roots after about a month, enough to transplant into soil, where they seem to do much better.

But the Carolina Reaper cuttings I put into the cloner have a 98% success rate, and by "success" I mean throwing tons of roots out in just under 2 weeks. Same conditions, just different plant.

I bought the Trinidad Scorpion as a starter at a nursery, but I grew the Carolina Reaper from seed.

Would that make a difference?

I use something called a mist maker from my aero-pot. This generates something more akin to a fog than a mist but it seems to work quite well.
As soon as a root comes I move the clone to my aero garden until I'm happy there's enough roots to plant in soil.

Back