• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning cloning... ¿¿¿how do you do it..???

i setup a cloner to clone some peppers we've hybridized... so far... i have cloned everything but a pepper plant... LOL/WUT!...

i've even spent a grip on chemicals and solutions... and it's just not doing the trick...

i asked my local hydroponic store, and they say to ask you guys... HAHAHAHA...

so anyone use an easyclone type of cloner...? what temps, solutions, light cycles, how big do you cut, what, what... WHAT...???

i've cloned trees in this thing... like citrus trees... tobacco trees... rose bushes... plants... i dunno... all kinds... just that peppers are impossible for me... any tips...?

thx...

i really at suck at cloning, though i have tried. i have been successful with rosemary but not with peppers. i really need to get better at it because some of the tomatoes i want to grow are F1's and cloning is the only way i know to increase my production.

hopefully, member Harry out of australia looks in on this post, he seems to have a knack at cloning. i think he may even have cloned another arm for himself - the 3 armed chili grower!

I haven't had much luck either. I tried to start several varieties and only had luck with 2 jalapenos. More an experiment I really didn't need them. I chose new growth and cut about 3" of stem below the top. I removed all the large leaves and cut all the medium leaves in 1/2 and left the smaller brand new leaves alone. I put them in a 1/2 pint jar with plain tapwater in a window and they rooted in 3 weeks...I had 2 other ornamental varieties in the same setup and nothing??? I think if I would have put just a touch of homone in the water they would have all taken. I am watching this thread closely because I plan to clone everything I like this season and add a real greenhouse to my arsenal next winter. I passed on a badass deal on craigslist the other day...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11269990&whse=BC&topnav=&cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-TopRatedProductsInCategory&cm_vc=categorypageHorizontalTop|TopRatedProductsInCategory

this EXACT greenhouse $100. Damn...was worried I didn't have time to disassemble it and waited too long and it was GONE!!! damn damn damn!!!

i really at suck at cloning, though i have tried. i have been successful with rosemary but not with peppers. i really need to get better at it because some of the tomatoes i want to grow are F1's and cloning is the only way i know to increase my production.

hopefully, member Harry out of australia looks in on this post, he seems to have a knack at cloning. i think he may even have cloned another arm for himself - the 3 armed chili grower!

the hydroponic store was like, "i cloned all kinds of peppers" but i did what he did and nada... FML...

I haven't had much luck either. I tried to start several varieties and only had luck with 2 jalapenos. More an experiment I really didn't need them. I chose new growth and cut about 3" of stem below the top. I removed all the large leaves and cut all the medium leaves in 1/2 and left the smaller brand new leaves alone. I put them in a 1/2 pint jar with plain tapwater in a window and they rooted in 3 weeks...I had 2 other ornamental varieties in the same setup and nothing??? I think if I would have put just a touch of homone in the water they would have all taken. I am watching this thread closely because I plan to clone everything I like this season and add a real greenhouse to my arsenal next winter. I passed on a badass deal on craigslist the other day...

http://www.costco.co...ductsInCategory

this EXACT greenhouse $100. Damn...was worried I didn't have time to disassemble it and waited too long and it was GONE!!! damn damn damn!!!

fail...

i would've jumped on it....

i don't want to keep clipping up my plants... they're starting to look all beat up and ugly...

but that's.... booooooooorrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnggg...

LOL...

i don't trust cross pollination... out of 3 different plants, this one gives up some stupid hot peppers.... the other ones also give small pods... i want to clone a couple more plants of it, and then put them in a green house together to get pure seeds...

fail...

i would've jumped on it....

i don't want to keep clipping up my plants... they're starting to look all beat up and ugly...

Yeah...fail for sure. As far as the clipping of the plants...I did all mine when I was cutting them back to overwinter. That's when I will be doing it again next year. So you have about 10 months to figure this out and post results here so I can be successful at it!

I always have success in rockwool. It does take time, needs humidity (dome)and minimal light if any the 1st day or so. Not a bad idea to take cuttings prior to overwintering.
Once the overwinters fire up, the clones should have their roots. Best of both world's.

Air layering..........anyone?

Greg

cool that you guys say you have a ton of success; but you aren't really saying much... do you put them on a heat mat...? how often do you water...? how do you water...? what kind of lights...? how long does it take...? when do you see growth or roots...¿

i tried rockwool, well my friend did... none of them worked out for him... i'm gonna give the rockwool a hit soon too... but my cloner produces 100% except for pepper plants...

yay... 100 post...

I have done a little cloning with good success.

First take clean plastic folgers coffee can. Fill with promix bx.
Spray with warm water. Wait. Spraw with more warm water. Wait. Look at through light and see if water has pooled at the bottom. Need about a centimeter. If not spray with water. If more hold soil and pour out excess water.

Cut new growth and cut off some of the leaves. Scratch the stem (I don't know if that helps). Stick in soil and set on top of the refigerator for 1 week.
Next set in sunny window until you start seeing growth or get bored. Carefully scoop out plant and dirt and put in new home.

Oh yeah keep soil moist.. if it dries out.
Ta dah

cool that you guys say you have a ton of success; but you aren't really saying much... do you put them on a heat mat...? how often do you water...? how do you water...? what kind of lights...? how long does it take...? when do you see growth or roots...¿

i tried rockwool, well my friend did... none of them worked out for him... i'm gonna give the rockwool a hit soon too... but my cloner produces 100% except for pepper plants...

yay... 100 post...

Yeah buddy! You're heating up!
Like I said...I used plain old tap water, but wouldn't call it "success" I think it was more lucky. Which is why I'm following this post! I am expecting the Clone-King to stroll onto this thread and give us a 100% foolproof and simple method any minute now!

I used to work in agriculture, and we did lots of "cloning" (both cuttings and in petri dishes)

I had a co-worker who would root peppers along side our other crops. We had strips of oasis foam (sort of like rockwool) and we had them in the greenhouse under intermittent mist for about 2 weeks and they would be rooted. the greenhouse was usually maintained between 70 and 80 F, with fairly low light in the propagation areas (the roof would be shaded)

the rooting hormone we used was mostly IBA with some NAA mixed in, but I am not sure of the concentration. we had a lady there who made it, it was a company recipe specifically formaulated for our main crop, but it worked with a lot of stuff.

http://www.oasisgrower.com/us/grower/pdfs/pl_wedge.pdf

thats a link to the oasis wedges

the mist was piped in through pvc with misters attached and the wedges were raised up off the beds in wire cages so the were free draining,. they werent misted enough to soak everything, just to keep a nice mist on the leaves. It worked very well for almost everything I through in there.

Back