• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Cloning Other!

What are y'all cloning besides peppers?

I know there are a number of techniques for cloning, and I know there are plenty of "other" plants that can be cloned. I don't know about you, but I'd love to see them, and I didn't see a dedicated thread to cloning "other" plants.

So... if you're cloning "others"... hook us up with what you are cloning, your method, gear, or knowledge of cloning in general. Pictures appreciated.

I just finished up a DIY aero cloner (Googling that will most likely send you to a bunch of 420 sites). It's an 18gal Rubbermaid Roughneck with 36 sites.

I'm doing a test run to break it in, make sure there are no major leaks, etc. and I figured I'd start with 8 small clippings from my neighbor's Gardenia. I've heard Gardenia's potency (smell) weakens when growing from seed. Which means if you want the original potency of a Gardenia you like, you'll want to clone it from a clipping of that specific plant, but I could have heard garbage... I don't really know.

Dipped the ends in Clonex cloning gel and put them in the cloning vat. 8 of them. The pump is running 24/7 until the interval timer arrives in a few days.

18247375301_041c427d61_b.jpg

I've got them under a 25 watt 6500K CFL. It's not much light, but I just want to keep these guys alive long enough to develop roots.

Cloners, this is YOUR thread! Hook it up with cloning knowledge.

For mine I just cut my clone off, dipped into some rooting gel and right into the intended dwc. Turned the flow off to that bucket, filled it up to bottom of basket to keep the hydroton near stem moist and let it do its thing. If it looked like it needed any additional water I would mist the leaves. As soon as I seen some roots out the basket turn the flow back on to that bucket and let the water level drop to normal operating levels (usually a few days to a week)

D3monic said:
For mine I just cut my clone off, dipped into some rooting gel and right into the intended dwc. Turned the flow off to that bucket, filled it up to bottom of basket to keep the hydroton near stem moist and let it do its thing. If it looked like it needed any additional water I would mist the leaves. As soon as I seen some roots out the basket turn the flow back on to that bucket and let the water level drop to normal operating levels (usually a few days to a week)

If I'm ever cloning peppers with the intention to keep them in a DWC, I might be using your method. I've cut the bottom out of all these 2" net cups (up to the bottom of the first slits) in the hope that I can pull clones for transplant without damaging roots too badly. This is kind of an experiment ATM. The cup layout is more dense than what I've seen, so it's possible the roots could turn into a tangled mess if the thing is packed and they are all left in too long.

I once made a 14 site cloner, about shoebox size. Basically a mini DWC bucket like Demonic is talking about. Just used an air pump with no timer.

Of course I just had 4 other plants root in a glass of water with no air in like 4 days.

SumOfMyBits said:

If I'm ever cloning peppers with the intention to keep them in a DWC, I might be using your method. I've cut the bottom out of all these 2" net cups (up to the bottom of the first slits) in the hope that I can pull clones for transplant without damaging roots too badly. This is kind of an experiment ATM. The cup layout is more dense than what I've seen, so it's possible the roots could turn into a tangled mess if the thing is packed and they are all left in too long.

Just use the collars with no cup and no hydroton. It's how mine was set up and lets you get the roots with no damage.

Yea I used a big air disk and stuff too I guess I left that out. Worked fine for canna, I don't see peppers being any different

Here's what used to be my veg side of the hydro. used 4 plants in veg and 2 in the flower cabinet. Though somango47 demanded that it take over the entire 5x6 cabinet. also have had a single plant try and take over the veg side. these have only been in here for a few weeks and just look at that difference after transplanting from soil

this was april 30th

and 30 days later

The first week or so they only grew roots of course. 

some things are easier to root than others. orchids, ferns wandering jew ect i've had success just sticking into a clump of wet peatmoss. 

Heckle said:
I once made a 14 site cloner, about shoebox size. Basically a mini DWC bucket like Demonic is talking about. Just used an air pump with no timer.

Of course I just had 4 other plants root in a glass of water with no air in like 4 days.

Just use the collars with no cup and no hydroton. It's how mine was set up and lets you get the roots with no damage.

That would be ideal. These collars are slightly smaller than the 2" holes (or exactly 2"... they fall through), so the net cups were my fix since they taper inward and are relatively cheap.

Grass Snake said:
Is growing from store bought watercress considered cloning? I tried once and failed

If you grow roots out of anything [edit: vegetative... not a seed] to get a new plant, I guess that's considered cloning. I've done a decent amount of cloning the super-easy plants, but I'm no expert on the subject. I've grown a new plant from a Basil leaf by accident once. I'd call that a clone.

In South Florida there are many, many native trees, shrubs, etc. that will grow into a new plant if you just jam a branch in the dirt here. I did a lot of that after Hurricane Andrew, along with a lot of other people.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
As soon as I get these out I am going to clone about 7 things... 

You know where to show them off.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looking forward to see how this turns out!

When (if) these Gardenias have set enough roots to my liking for transplant, I'll be gluing the PVC pipes for permanence, and taking some proper pictures to share of the insides. I figured it would be better to know this thing worked properly before I did all that. I'm also a little concerned that I may not have enough sprayers if this thing is packed with rooted clones that could block the spray from reaching the center. Right now it's basically two sprayer runs close to the sides... there's some room to loop two more runs inside of that.

Sluggy said:
I'm cloning THAI BASIL.

You don't even need clonex or another root growth hormone to clone Thai basil. 

That reminds me... time to clone all the basil and replace all the old, woody-stemmed ones.

I clone a lot of tomato's, herbs, passion and other vinning flowers in the aquaponics beds with no hormone dust/gel.  I have not had much luck with woody stems from bushes.  I plan to try some honey soon since I can't put the other hormones in the AP beds.  Fig's have done much better directly in the dirt or damp paper towel for me.  I do want to try berries this year since I can scatter them in our common grounds and I don't have enough established to dig up and separate.  I have yet to try a pepper but it's on the list.  Usually I start so much crap and varieties I don't have room for them.  I'm trying to get rid of stuff instead of start more.  However, it is great for a bad bacteria/fungus year to have some backups especially for tomato's.  It's all more of an experiment to see if I can make it grow than trying to clone more.

Back