• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning Cloning peppers (water bottle)

I had really strong winds last Sunday and it completely broke my white habanero plant. So I found youtube video describing particular pepper cloning method. It was just like put cutting into water bottle and pour some water and wait ( of course removing excess leaves and buds) I didn't believe it was so simple and well it was worth trying cause I had nothing to lose. And its day 3 and I can already see root starting to grow. I will upload picture later as a proof. Meanwhile you can watch this video and see the method yourself  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abESlZF-Z7g.

Rasta Frutegum clones from my plant putting out white pods. rooted using tap water a windowsill and a little patience. 
20160628_085401.jpg

:cheers:

I have always imagined pepper cloning process to be bit more demanding, like keeping the humidity levels and using root hormones and other things. I didn't know about this since I'm not experienced grower and this site is here for pepper growers to share their troubles and discoveries and for others to advice and/or help. So I really see no need for things like "You reinvented the wheel". Sooner or later you'll find yourself in situation where you missed out obvious thing. It only says about you willard3.
Others, thanks ! :D For me this is really great discovery ! :D

I have some cuttings that are 5 days old and none have shown roots. I also took some tomatoe cuttings and they are 3 days old and just showing roots today. Ive tried cloning them in soil in the past with plastic bag over the pot even spraying them every now and then with no sucess

I've done this a lot of times and it works great. Sometimes it takes longer till they root. At first I used to change the water every few days to prevent algae and spoiling. Later I read somewhere that the natural rooting hormones of the plant get partially diffused in the water so it's not convenient to throw it away. Instead, I started switching the water betweet two recipients with cloning plants, so as to oxygenate it while keeping the hormones. I do that about once a week. It doesn't matter much anyway, plant will still root and everything even if the water gets a little green.

I have done this with tomatoes frequently with great success.  Have not tried with peppers, but looking at the pictures, wondering if at least three nodes down will be sufficient?

So let's see what the simple water bottle approach brings.  3 cuttings of a Red Bhut Jolokia (forgive spelling please), with water left to dechlorinate for 12-hours minimum.  I will change the water every 3 days. The baggie over the top was for the first day to retain moisture, but the entire package was kept out of direct sunlight...or it would be tea by now.  I have had success with tomato cuttings just with tap water here in the past.  The temperature is in the mid to upper 90's, and the humidity the same.  Tropics are heating up too.  I will probably remove the bag in a few days, but monitor daily.

Back