• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning Cloning Peppers

Does anyone have experience with cloning/taking cuttings with peppers. I have a jalapeno I would like to clone before frost hits here Hopefully then I will be able to keep them over winter. I have a cloning machine that I got from amazon. I also have cut clones using cannabis when I worked on medical marijuana grows in Northern Cali, so would it be the same process? 45 degree cuts using a sterilized blade? rooting powder, rockwool cubes in net pots. Then how far would I fill the tub with water? If anyone could give me any tips I would greatly appreciate. Thanks

I have some experience with cloning. I have tried two ways: place the cutting in (1) water and (2) perlite. Both ways work, but I prefer water because it allows to visually check root development.

I have several images in my GLOG: here, and here, and here, but also here. One of these posts has an image of a plastic beaker with an inverted top of a plastic bottle inside. I fill with water up to the bottle neck and place cuttings in the orifice.

I haven't cloned any Jalapeno but have cloned several forms of Capsicum using the same basic techniques. Water is a good choice, I have a few cutting sitting in water right now. I change the water daily to prevent rotting.

I also have several cuttings under constant light at a low level. Capsicum in general respond very well to a 24/7 photoperiod and I checked for roots on the 11 day. Only two of my super hot cutting had rooted by then but all of the cuttings were still healthy. 

I read a study not long ago that surveyed the amount of time it took for different varieties to root and it was basically about 10-30 days with many types taking 2-3 weeks. That seems pretty normal to me for cloning plants in general. 

TheOther-One1 said:
Does anyone have experience with cloning/taking cuttings with peppers. I have a jalapeno I would like to clone before frost hits here Hopefully then I will be able to keep them over winter. I have a cloning machine that I got from amazon. I also have cut clones using cannabis when I worked on medical marijuana grows in Northern Cali, so would it be the same process? 45 degree cuts using a sterilized blade? rooting powder, rockwool cubes in net pots. Then how far would I fill the tub with water? If anyone could give me any tips I would greatly appreciate. Thanks

A quick search turned up A Guide for Cloning Pepper Plants

ahayastani said:
I have some experience with cloning. I have tried two ways: place the cutting in (1) water and (2) perlite. Both ways work, but I prefer water because it allows to visually check root development.

I have several images in my GLOG: here, and here, and here, but also here. One of these posts has an image of a plastic beaker with an inverted top of a plastic bottle inside. I fill with water up to the bottle neck and place cuttings in the orifice.
So just take the cutting and leave it in water? I have never tried this method before, so maybe I will give it a shot.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
I was aware of this, but I thought it was on a different site, so when I looked for it I could not find it. Turns out it was on here all along. But I still do like to get "face time" so to speak with a multitude of different folks so as to gain perspectives and different methods.

Back