• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning Cloning plant

I've got a bhut in a hydro unit that is getting too big and blocking out much of the other plants. I've had absolutely zero luck cloning anything - all I've been able to accomplish is dry plants for my compost. So this time, I decided to try putting the rockwool cubes in the hydro unit.

Time will tell.

Mike

wordwiz said:
I've got a bhut in a hydro unit that is getting too big and blocking out much of the other plants. I've had absolutely zero luck cloning anything - all I've been able to accomplish is dry plants for my compost. So this time, I decided to try putting the rockwool cubes in the hydro unit.
The cloning machine I bought works so well that I've never had a single time it didn't work. I've done about 20 types of plants in it so far. Everything from veggies to hedges. At the time, I thought it was a bit steep in price, but now, I'd pay twice that for it. Damn fine way to make clones.

You take a cutting about 4 to 6 inches long and trim off all but about 4 leaves from it. Then stick it into a two inch net cup with some hydroton in it. No rockwool, just the stem. The base if full of water with an anti-bacterial and a rooting hormone mixed into it. The water sprays 24/7 up onto the cup bottoms which stick through the lid, blocking all light. After 15 days or so, you'll have a clump of white roots coming off the stem and through the hydroton. You gently pull it out and put the net cup, hydroton and all into your hydro unit. Done!

As you know, I'm growing peppers now that will be cloned this winter using this machine. I've not done peppers yet, so this will be a great experiment. Judging from past experience with this gadget, it'll work just fine.

theyve discontinued the 2o and the 42 so youre spending 375 minimum, thats pretty steep right there.

i have some blueprints drawn up for several different aeropnic cloners, you can make it out of a rubbermade container. the most expencisve peice is the water pump and you can get those at any big fish store. other than that its just pvc and small sprayer heads.

i can dig up the pictures if youd like.

The gel is called Rooter Cloning Gel - I can't believe I paid $15 for two ounces of this stuff!

They are in a Deep Water Bubbler system, but it's not real deep - only about eight inches. The basil love it, though.

Nat, what funds I have are going to go into lights, potting soil and seed trays, once I figure out which ones I want to use. I know I need at least two of the 45 watt LEDs and that's not including lights for almost 800 seedlings. Plus the seeds themselves are not going to be a drop in my money bucket!

Mike

clonex really is the way to go, rooting powders are absolutely no comparison. any luck getting roots to form with the rockwool cubes in that dwc rig?

bentalphanerd said:
mmm at 42 i can confirm the secret to life is Beer. cheers CP :cheers:

imaguitargod said:
But, I thought the answer was 42? Maybe it was 42 beers....hmmm....must think this through more....

I like how both of ya are thinking here... ;)

Ironically, I'd just watched that movie the other night, AND I'm 42 as well...spo0oky.

000q9hbq

I clone all the time in hydro and never use cloning amendments....they're not necessary.

Expensive.....not necessary

Well, the cutting died but I don't think it had anything to do with the gel. We went without power for almost a full week and honestly, after a couple of days, I never paid a lot of attention to the plants. The big ones in the hydro survived fine - I'm wondering if an aerator is even necessary! But the water level fell substanially and the rockwool dried out.

Mike

Back