• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

recipe Cloning Poblano's "Mexican Hot Sauce"

Hi everyone,

I've been a hot sauce fiend for a bit and my favorite, all time, are the Red Jalapeno and/or Mexican Hot Sauce produced by Poblano Hot Sauce in Tucson. I go through about 30 bottles a year; it's so good I ship it in from Tucson - it's not sold outside of AZ as far as I'm aware. They stopped producing for a few weeks last year and I thought I was out of luck forever. Fortunately they're in production again, but it was a scare! 

So, I am here for one reason: to recreate this hot sauce.

The recipe is a closely guarded secret, so there's no asking for tips or tricks from the manufacturers. I've been compiling notes for a few months now and I'm just going to data dump it here and log my progress as I go. To say I've been taking notes may be an understatement. I've scoured the internet for articles and newspaper clippings about Poblano Hot Sauce. I've search the pictures in those articles carefully to see what equipment they may have. I've read them thoroughly for ANY clue about the process or recipe.

The flavor is not sweet at all, just a little bit vinegary with a very clear contribution by spices. Texture is smooth with a little bit of grit from the spices. No seeds are visible.

If you're familiar with this hot sauce and have some thoughts - please let me know.

What I think I know:

The sauce is not cooked
  • Oil separates when left to sit for a few days; based on previous research, I suspect this may mean it is uncooked.
  • Reading local news articles about the makers states that the only piece of equipment they have is a "chile grinder"; there is no mention of a stove and none shown in any photograph of the kitchen.
Peppers and spices pickle for days at room temperature. I do not believe this is fermented.
  • ..."barrels holding jalapenos, spices, and mustard that marinate together of the course of several days".
The big unknowns are the composition of "chili peppers" and "spices"
  • surprise to no one
  • the original recipe called for chiltepin peppers, but people complained it was too hot so they no longer use chiltepins
I believe spices include...
  • mustard seed
  • turmeric
  • paprika
  • garlic powder
  • cumin (I THINK I can taste this)

Listed Ingredients:

• Mexican Hot Sauce (In order)

Habanero
  • Chili peppers
  • spices
  • distilled vinegar
  • mustard seed (>= 28 g per bottle)
  • salt (11 g sodium per bottle based on nutritional information, should be 28 g Salt per bottle)
  • turmeric (<= 28 g per bottle)
  • paprika
  • garlic powder

Articles about Poblano. This is it:

Attachments

• poblano.jpg
    poblano.jpg
    776.9 KB · Views: 266
What are the chances it was just a decades old mix that started to ferment long ago but was was just constantly replenished of new ingredients? That'd definitely do something to the flavor and be hard to replicate. 

Actually I don't think this sauce is fermented at all, fortunately! If that were the case, I expect they'd advertise it and wouldn't be so protective of their recipe since it would be so difficult to replicate.  Unfortunately only one guy on the plan knows, and he won't tell us.

Back