• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning Cloning / Top Lobbing

I started cloning years ago because seed is really expensive when you want to grow a lot of any one thing.  I still do it for economic reasons when I do not have saved seeds, but I am finding another benefit. I have some side lighting, but not much.  My walls are far enough apart that I don't get much reflecting.  So most of the light the plants get is from the top.  Keeping plants short before they go outside really helps.  Being able to start in October of one year to get ready for the next year really helps.  Plant gets too tall, I lob off the top and make a new one.

Thought I would share my red neck clone machine and ask others to share their methods.

I built racks from wood that fit plastic mortar trays (lowes).  The trays contain water, a fish tank bubbler (walmart), and a fish tank heater(walmart).  I drill holes in the bottom and sides of solo cups, leaving them stacked so each plunge with the drill gets a bunch of cups.  Have used hydro pebbles, rockwool and other medium but now prefer an organic potting soil mix.  Works just as well and I do not have to argue that rockwool or clay pebles are organic (people are annoying).

I use a scalpel (feed store) with a straight blade angling the cut down at about 45% just above the third nodule or higher.  Then I use a curved / castration blade to remove at least a couple branches from the part I cut off.  The goal being to make sure some of the stem goes deep enough into the medium that it will be under water.  After cutting and trimming each one, they go into room temperature water in a dark room for 12 hours.  Putting them in water imediately helps to prevent air pockets from forming in the stem which will stop water up take.  I have no idea why letting them soak in a dark room helps, discovered it by accident.

Next day, I put rooting powder on them.  You can buy the stuff at lowes.  Miracle grow makes one.  Most of the store / chain store stuff works about the same.  I have a mail order one but only because it has a big ol label that says Organic on it.  Doesn't work any better & to be honest, I dont think it works as well.  But I really like that word.

I use a chop stick to push a hole in the wet medium to the bottom of the solo cup, drop the clone in, and gently push the medium around till the hole is close.  Then they go into the heated mortar tray of water with the bubbler humming away.  I leave the water level at about 2 inches for a couple of weeks.  To keep humidity up, I cover the rack with plastic.  The warm water does the rest.

If I have it on hand, I spray with wax based leaf shine.  i read that it helps to keep the moisture in the plant but have not noticed much difference since I started covering the rack with plastic.  In the winter, I might also put a 100 wat light bulb under the trays to help with temp, but the fish tank heaters really do a good job.

After about two weeks, they go to a dry tray where I water them normally.  Another two or three weeks and i start to see rots coming out the holes in the solo cups.  So after five weeks, i have a rooted plant several inches tall with many leaves.  Much faster than growing another plant from seed, much cheaper in the long run.

Grant, I am not cloning right now.  I have batches of the mother plants, batches of clones, and batches of seedlings in the various trays.  But I use the same racks and same trays for everything, so I can give you an idea.

Here is one of the racks.  Each is about 6 foot tall, has two levels and can take up to 4 fixtures per level so 8 bulbs per level.  I do not hang the fixtures cause I have had them fall.  I prefer they sit on the wood slots like in the photo.  These are seedlings sitting in these little pots I twist up.  When cloning, I use the solo cups (next photo).  Twenty fit per tray, two trays per level, two levels.  So each unit takes up 8 square feet of floor space and grows 80 clones.  I think the little twisted up pots fix like 60, so 240 seedlings per rack.  I put the racks right next to each other, connect with a screw.  They become very, very stable once you run them from one end of the room to the next.

Those things hanging from the shelf, those are the heaters for cloning.   Sure you have seen them, they just happened to be hanging there so I dont loose them.

seed_rack.jpg

The next picture is mostly clones that have already taken root.  No more any need for them to be in the water.  Some of them are mother plants.  But note they are all -about- the same height.  The ones to the left are a bit taller cause they are further away from the light which runs down the middle.  The photo only shows the center of the room and the left side, the right isde is about as tightly backed as the left.  To take the picture, I raised the lights.  Normally the lights hang lower.  By keeping the plant height about the same I can get my light closer without burning anyone.  The cool part is notice they are all in the same trays. 

Wish I could get a wider image, but moving around in there is tough.  I pack everything as tight as possible.  After this year's grow, I am going to put casters on all the short racks so I can move them around.

hps_trays.jpg

You can not really see it in the picture, but most of those trays are sitting in a rack which is about half the height of the one in the photo above.  Below it is another set of trays.  When in use, those bottom trays have flourescents over them.  Plants in there can get two feet tall before they have to be moved or chopped.  Then above them, the trays are under hps.  This way I get twice the grow space from the same square foot of grow space.

Sorry about quality.  Pictures from my phone.  Best camera I got.

P.S. Top of rack fits another two trays, but I don't have enough electricity in that room to put in new lights up there.  As I put more racks in other parts of the house, probably use all three levels.  So 120 solo cups or 360 seedlings in a 2 foot by 4 foot footprint.

PSS - Forgot to explain the caster wheel thing.  Notice down the right side of the photo which is the center of the room the trays are just a little bit higher?  Those are sitting on work tables that have casters on the legs.  That way to tend or water, I can roll one back and out from under the light, then the next until there is a walk way down the middle of the room.  I use bottom watering, so I dont have to get to each plant.  I just have to get water to the tray.

Grant, depends on future money.  As I sell seeds, kits, and other things (I make knives and blacksmith items) I use that money to build more racks.  Each rack is lumber, trays, lights, and gfi circuits.  Lets say a rack of seedlings (up to 360 seedlings) needs moved into solo cups.  Now i need three more racks if I am going to reuse the first one for more seedlings.  All that has to come from the online sales.  Can not let myself be more of a burden to my family.  Medical bills are already unreal.

Currently, have thousands.  There's the seedlings in the racks. Forget how many racks.  Then trays in other rooms just sitting on the floor with lights sitting on them.  But no way to know how many will get culled and how many moved to solo cups.  Also, no way to know how many I will be able to get into the ground with my challenges.  Going to do my best, but who knows.

I do get some relief in about a month when many move to a friend's high house.  After that to my makeshift green houses.  I dont think I am really going to know till June.

For my tomatoes, I just stick the broken or cut off branch into a pot and ignore it for a week or two. Never occurred to me to try peppers since they're not as subject to collapsing in the heat as the tomatoes are and seeds at the home level are such a small investment. Are they that much harder to root than tomatoes? Or is it just that you're rooting so many you need a very efficient setup?

Guess if any of the peppers survive this weekend I can try rooting some of them myself in a month or so!

Reader - It seems to have better results for me.  I looked at a friends cloning set up he bought at a grow shop & tried to build something that would be cheaper and bigger.  Something wrong between my ears in that I hate the idea of buying something I can build.  Problem being sometimes buying it is cheaper and better.

Chocolate - Am thinking of trying bonsai to turn peppers into houseplants for the rest of the house.  With cloning, the goal is to have as many ready to go into the ground when the weather permits.  It is much faster for me to turn a clone into a new plant than it is to grow one from seed.  Heck, even with heat some seeds have taken a month to germinate.  With a clone, after a month it is a plant with a healthy root system.

Back