• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning Cloning using DWC

Ok all honesty im not trying to jack the thread :lol: but this is something that would also apply to DWC also. So when starting off with seeds, How do you start them off if a DWC/Bubbler/Other hydro. My guess is if you were to actually start them off ONLY using the hydro system, you would probably use bigger seeds or carefully place them onto of some Hydroton and maybe place a plastic cup or something over that site.

Or do the plants need to be started off until the become seedlings and introduced into hydro.

I personaaly start mine as a regular seedling in soil then they get moved over to Hydroton. I have tried a couple different ways to germinate using hydro and it ends up being alot of problems.

First germinate in rockwool:

crop3400.jpg

Next, place rockwool in hydrotron:

birdaji.jpg

So would it be a bad idea to start seeds off in rockwool surrounded by hydroton in the netpots and grown in the bubbler?

It's easier to control the temperature if you keep the mass you are trying to germinate low.

I germinate like this mostly. What germinates I place in a rockwool cube after germination. I keep the seeds at 85F on a heating pad.

IMG_8544.jpg

IMG_8543.jpg

IMG_8545.jpg

I do believe the basis of this thread is strictly aimed towards cloning using a DWC and growing entirely in a DWC. Based on my findings you can go from soil to hydro, assuming you do it when they are young, but is harder or at least more risks with going from hydro to soil. Besides why even go back into soil when hydro is so much healthier and better for the plant anyway? :) Also I would like to mention I got mine up and running four days ago and have 4 plants I am testing it with. So far so good. ;)

crazy8 said:
Based on my findings you can go from soil to hydro, assuming you do it when they are young, but is harder or at least more risks with going from hydro to soil. ;)

I find going from hydro to soil has no risk, 100% with no transplant setback. I clone plants in soil that I want to bring into hydro so that I don't introduce soil pathogens to hydro system.

They'll grow nice big roots in DWC. No problem planting them in soil if you want. Just gently fan the roots out as you're potting them up.

Back