• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning Cloning

I have a small bubble cloner that I plan on using next spring after my overwintering plants reveg. Has any one tried to clone pepper plants with any success? I hate waiting till late May or mid June for my peppers heheheh. Thanks for any help in advance. Kansas

Thank goodness I've discovered this thread, as it was mentioned to me that cloning one of my plants into a hydro DWS system would be a better bet for me than simply transplanting the whole plant, roots and all, into a DWS, since the roots alone would be a hassle, and I'd imagine the move would likely shock the living daylights out of the plant. That, and simply starting over from seeds would be too much a case of hit & miss vis a vis seed germination percentages, and would take much too long before I got any results.

Thanks much Fatalii!! :party: :woohoo: :party:

I get about 95% success with my cuttings. Here is my 12 step process:

1. Pinch (not snip) off a fresh cutting (hopefully 5-7 inches long). It seems that cuttings bluntly pinched off and not so sharply cut or snipped off will root better.
2. Without delay, take off any bottom leaves to leave you with a stem at the bottom of two or three inches. Remove all but about three or four leaves from the branch to minimize transpiration. Any good size leaves need to be cut in half for the same reason.
3. Dampen the bottom of the stem and apply fresh rooting hormone.
4. Place in a small starting cup with starter mix and water thoroughly.
5. Have a beer.
6. Put your cutting in a sunny window.
7. Keep damp (not soggy but damp) until it roots.
8. I like to mist spray the rooting plant three or four times a day since its hard for it to take up water when roots have not developed.
9. Wait for roots to show up in the drain holes before transplanting.
10. Have an additional beer.
11. Enjoy and don't worry.
12. Have yet another beer.

As I said, this process works very well for me. Your chances are good if you attend to the cutting.

Good luck!

Big Mike
See us Online: www.knot2worry.us

I've been reading how easy this is but I have failed several attempts before with over 10 different cuttings of a T scorp Butch T.
I think maybe this variety may not root as easily as others from what I have read. Is this true for TS Butch T from your opinion?

I know, it must be me. Some say put in the sun and some say shaded. I will try another vairey to ensure I find a solution to my problem.
I've read many threads of how easy, like big mike above with 95%. I am 0% now but will keep trying.

I get about 95% success with my cuttings. Here is my 12 step process:

1. Pinch (not snip) off a fresh cutting (hopefully 5-7 inches long). It seems that cuttings bluntly pinched off and not so sharply cut or snipped off will root better.
2. Without delay, take off any bottom leaves to leave you with a stem at the bottom of two or three inches. Remove all but about three or four leaves from the branch to minimize transpiration. Any good size leaves need to be cut in half for the same reason.
3. Dampen the bottom of the stem and apply fresh rooting hormone.
4. Place in a small starting cup with starter mix and water thoroughly.
5. Have a beer.
6. Put your cutting in a sunny window.
7. Keep damp (not soggy but damp) until it roots.
8. I like to mist spray the rooting plant three or four times a day since its hard for it to take up water when roots have not developed.
9. Wait for roots to show up in the drain holes before transplanting.
10. Have an additional beer.
11. Enjoy and don't worry.
12. Have yet another beer.

As I said, this process works very well for me. Your chances are good if you attend to the cutting.

Good luck!

Big Mike
See us Online: www.knot2worry.us

Do you take your 5 to 7" cutting at the base of the main stalk, or if all the branches are longer than 7", can you take the cutting (pinching) mid-stalk?

Im thinking step one should be... crack open a beer!

DocNrock,
I personally wouldn't cut mid stalk. I like to cut just below the first node from the removed leaf on the bottom. Roots tend to grow out of those first for me. And you want it to be on the bottom so it will be down in whatever medium u are using. The longer cutting tend to resist rot better IMO, being more mature than the tips, so five or six inches is a good size. You may have different results... depending on how and what... but this always works for me.
Ga gh

Im thinking step one should be... crack open a beer!

DocNrock,
I personally wouldn't cut mid stalk. I like to cut just below the first node from the removed leaf on the bottom. Roots tend to grow out of those first for me. And you want it to be on the bottom so it will be down in whatever medium u are using. The longer cutting tend to resist rot better IMO, being more mature than the tips, so five or six inches is a good size. You may have different results... depending on how and what... but this always works for me.
Ga gh

Thanks. This might be an easy way to overwinter. Clone, plant in small cups over the winter, then outside in spring.

I strictly take tips of branches. Not stalks or even mid stalks.

Big Mike

Thanks big Mike,
I mis read docNrock's post. Doc, The cutting should be five or six inches long, from the tip down. You want five or seven leaves, going down from tip, on the cutting. Then cut just below the lowest leaf node to bury it in the medium, not mid cutting as i thought your were asking, after removing the lower leaves. I have got a few pieces below the tip cutting to root in testing, but the tips root much easier.
Ga gh

Thanks big Mike,
I mis read docNrock's post. Doc, The cutting should be five or six inches long, from the tip down. You want five or seven leaves, going down from tip, on the cutting. Then cut just below the lowest leaf node to bury it in the medium, not mid cutting as i thought your were asking, after removing the lower leaves. I have got a few pieces below the tip cutting to root in testing, but the tips root much easier.
Ga gh

Thanks for the clarification. I may play around with this next weekend.

Thanks for the advice, all. In about a week our two, ill order the fist few DWC kits to give this the good old college try, since it seems insofar as soil is concerned, I just haven't had any luck at all with getting pods. In fact, I would love to try the DWC method on the new Carolina Reapers I've gotten to sprout in the last week.

Newbie question about this cloning. Hopefully not too tupid.

What do the pods end up looking like on the plant when it matures?

Are they exactly the same as those that grew from the plant being cloned?

Do they need to be isolated as well to grow the same pods as before?

Or will they cross polinate?

Well, a few questions.

That isn't a bad question at all. The pods will be the same as the pods on the donor plant. Biologically, the plants are the same. In fact, it is the same plant, just separated into two places. No isolation is needed to get the rooted cutting to produce a plant with pods the same as the donor or "Mother" plant.

Big Mike

One question from me, and this may well qualify under the newbie question... For DWC, being that the roots are for all intents & purposes, immersed in water 24/7, is there any risk of root rot, or is that something more indicative of plants that are growing in soil? I'm leaning towards no because of the aeration, but is it something I should be mindful of?

Newbie question about this cloning. Hopefully not too tupid.

What do the pods end up looking like on the plant when it matures?

Are they exactly the same as those that grew from the plant being cloned?

Do they need to be isolated as well to grow the same pods as before?

Or will they cross polinate?

Well, a few questions.

SKWERL!! Sorry, couldn't help but throw in the obligatory "Up" reference ;)

That isn't a bad question at all. The pods will be the same as the pods on the donor plant. Biologically, the plants are the same. In fact, it is the same plant, just separated into two places. No isolation is needed to get the rooted cutting to produce a plant with pods the same as the donor or "Mother" plant.

Big Mike

But still would have to isolate the flowers to keep from cross breeding, right?

In other words you basicly have just a plant like you started with?

And thanks for the reply...

Back