• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning Cloning

Is it possible to clone using a cloning gel, root plugs and just a basic propagation tray/dome with a heating mat? Under a light of course.

Yes i have cloned using that method but what works best for me is an aeroponic cloner. Roots in 7-10 days. You can build one under $40 using aa rubbermaid container. Just Google DIY aeroponic cloner.

7potquezada said:
Is it possible to clone using a cloning gel, root plugs and just a basic propagation tray/dome with a heating mat? Under a light of course.

+1 for Aeroponic Cloning as above.

Aeroponic cloners are the easiest way to get a genetically identical plant, and may shorten production times etc. I've found that cloning gel is over-rated for aeroponic systems. All I use is PH'd water until roots form, and then slowly add rooting enhancers (Rootbastic, Rapid Root, etc), as well as a small amount of hydroponic fertilizer.

I suggest learning to clone with tomatoes, as they are an easy plant to start with. Within a week you can have a tomato that is ready to plant and at 12" or more tall. Cloning works with quite a few different plants, so don't be afraid to try it out on other plants around the yard as well.

I use a Turboklone T24 with a 1 min on 3 min off timer. No problems with water temps with the addition of the timer.

Yes it is possible. 

I have cloned various plants using Rhizopon AA (a root growth/stimulant hormone similar to clonex). 

In my experience rockwool is not a suitable medium. All the leaves become limp immediately.

However, floral foam works fine. I cut it in cubes and plant the clones in there, and keep them in a (warm) propagator with the lights on 20 hrs a day. Humidity seems a key factor. 

It takes quite a while for the clones to grow roots, but it does work. 

Back