• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CMPMAN1974's 2011 Growing Log - Started 1/29/11

Well, I finally got motivated and dropped some seeds in my 162 count plug tray this afternoon. Filled up 100 of the spaces. It's always so hard to narrow anything down. I've got the seed tray on a heating mat calibrated to 86 degrees. Sowing so many individual varieties is always one huge chore. I kind of envy people like AJ planting 100 of the same variety.

I sowed a lot of C. chinenses, some wild bird types, and wild praetermissums and a few other wild species. There is nothing very common on this years' list. lol. :) Tons of strange super hot cross attempts from people. At least I've got a solid system now as far as spreadsheets and tracking.

I wish I had acres to grow all I want. I could really get carried away!

I'll start the Annuums and Baccatums in early March. I'm cutting way, way back on Rocotos. I struggled last year to get them to produce (well ripen) on time. I'm not a quitter by any means though. :)

I will be pretty much growing 100% in the ground this season. I don't feel like spending money on soil this year. I built three more 4' x 12' raised beds last Fall to add some growing space. I should be fine.

Chris

I'm not sure yet Charles on the Annuums. What I really need to do one year is just cut off all super hots and focus on other stuff. I say it every year and fall into the trap. I just love the way they look. :) My goal is to have a lot of peppers I can cook with, which for me is heavily weighted towards Pequins, bird types, asian peppers, and some Brazilian types. I like Scotch Bonnets obviously too. The small pod Frutescens are really tasty as I like that sharp, explosion heat then disappear sensation.

The reality is even if I picked one 'theme' each year to grow, I'd never get through them. :) It's kind of sad. Sometimes choice isn't the best thing, but most times it is. I always wish I could grow out my saved seeds in future years too, but rarely do I do so. Since I share / trade so many, I often get to see this piece fulfilled one way or the other though.

Hopefully my friend will have some open space again in his 100' x 100' garden. The only issue is he is not as meticulous as me labeling plants and things get a little jungle-like in that place. It is fun to walk through in late September though!

I'm pretty big into other veggies too and wish I had more discipline to dedicate space to as well. I appreciate the space I do have. Who knows how long I'll have it.

Josh, I plant pretty intensively. Usually 33 plants or so in a 48 sq ft area. I'm happy with the yields, though they'd be bigger if I spaced them 18" apart. For me, it's about varieties grown more than pod production off a single plant.

Chris

Add my best of luck to your season too Chris. Looking forward to your pics, they're some of the best on the site.

Agree with Patrick, your gardening and photography skills are top shelf. Your pictures have been inspiration to many.
Looking forward to great 2011. Good luck and happy gardening!

Well, it's official. 7 babies were born today. 6 days post seed sowing. :) I see some more pushing through too. All is going well. First up of the year: Bhut Jolokia x Bell Pepper cross. lol. How's that for a weird one to sprout?

Chris

:cheers: Here's to a wonderful season Chris! Good luck and looking forward to all the beautiful pictures you post. Hope your peppers give a awesome harvest!

Charles

Good luck Chris. I've got a Bhut x Bell growing, actually flowering now, I got the seeds from Jukka. I really should pinch the buds but I'm lazy and ham fisted, i'll end up snapping branches off.

100+ seeds up within 10 days. I grow for a different goal than many I'd guess. My goal is variety preservation. I work hard to make sure I am able to grow at least one plant of everything I try to sow. Not always easy though with tougher wild types. I'm pretty happy so far with things. We'll see how the next 10 days goes.

Chris

Back