co-packer Co-Packaging... far, far away!

Hello,
The problem I'm trying to figure out right now is, once I have made my bbq sauce, where do I go to get it bottled? I live in the middle of nowhere, actually you go to nowhere and turn left! (150 miles north of Vegas) I've talked to different bottlers but nobody seems willing to tell me about the transportation regs., or if there are any. Trying to figure out if I need to look into bottling equipment and do it in house. (Bottling Equipment cost vs. Transportation Storage Equipment cost)
Thanks,
The Guy

P.S. - This is just the first of MANY questions...

Co-packers will do the sauce/bbq etc. at there location, i am not too sure if they let you bringing in the stuff you made at home just for the fact of liability insurance....

Well, I am making it in a certified kitchen (a restaurant kitchen at present) but I am planning to set up my own place. I wanted to see if I could save some money by getting it bottled somewhere else for a short time or should I go ahead and calculate the bottling equipment expence in now.

I would say calculate the botling expense in now. If anything, it will help you shop around if you decide to have it bottled elsewhere because it will give you a cost base to compare.

Will Do!
Since I am brand new at this, please forgive any less than brilliant questions. If I were brilliant, I'd be rich, retired, and living in the Caribbean on my private island by now.
Thanks

marcosauces said:
Bottling it yourself is always cheaper....but takes lots of work especially if you want to make large quantity.

Hi Marco,
I have to differ in this opinion. For the co-packer to bottle it for us, it was just a few cents more per unit. But for that extra cost, you got an FDA approved and sealed product, UPC symbols, food scientists to do the various testing on it, etc. The only 'real' added cost was the transportation of the actual pallet. It may be a good idea for Guy to do it himself for the short term, for a cost comparison, like that that was mentioned, but ai truly think a co-packer is the way to go...Many less worries for only a couple bucks. I weigh these kinds of things in the mental anguish ratio.

It may be for some that the cost may be substantially higher to get a co-packer, depending on the ingredients and vessels they are using, I'm just going on my own experience.

DEFCON Creator said:
Hi Marco,
I have to differ in this opinion. For the co-packer to bottle it for us, it was just a few cents more per unit. But for that extra cost, you got an FDA approved and sealed product, UPC symbols, food scientists to do the various testing on it, etc. The only 'real' added cost was the transportation of the actual pallet. It may be a good idea for Guy to do it himself for the short term, for a cost comparison, like that that was mentioned, but ai truly think a co-packer is the way to go...Many less worries for only a couple bucks. I weigh these kinds of things in the mental anguish ratio.

It may be for some that the cost may be substantially higher to get a co-packer, depending on the ingredients and vessels they are using, I'm just going on my own experience.

Cretor,
but it is still cheaper, especially if you add the shipping in the price tag...:doh:

O.K. then,
Let me understand this. With a co-packer you sign a non-disclouser contract, hand them the recipe, and get a pallet of bottled sauces to pick up when they call you? If so besides ingredients and everything else that they calcualte in the price, how much of the cost is the time it takes to make the product? My sauce is a very long (Days) process to make.

The Guy
At work now... I'm working... REALLY!

The_Guy said:
O.K. then,
Let me understand this. With a co-packer you sign a non-disclouser contract, hand them the recipe, and get a pallet of bottled sauces to pick up when they call you? If so besides ingredients and everything else that they calcualte in the price, how much of the cost is the time it takes to make the product? My sauce is a very long (Days) process to make.

The Guy
At work now... I'm working... REALLY!

You're on the right track. A non-disclosure form is the first step. They will make your product basically on a first come, first serve basis. It usually takes us about 3 weeks to receive the pallet from the day we place the order. It depends a lot on how full the co-packers schedule is. They should have no problem with you picking the stuff up, if they are close by. I'm in NJ and my co-packer is in FL, so it's not worth the drive for me. If you could pull that off, you're way ahead of the game.

The co-packer will break your product down into actual chemical makeup and recreate it for the most part. What takes you days may only take a short time within the co-packers fiacility, as they have access for far bigger and effieciant machines than the normal person would have. They will normally send you a batch to compare with your product and you and your friends tastebuds. Ours got the recipe right after only the second try. Best bet is to have a person selected, and have them serve your formula and the co-packers formula in a blind taste test.

DEFCON Creator said:
The chilihead continuum is one where most manufacturers, like myself, are proud of our accomplishments, and feel good about telling others how avoid the potholes we hit.

Lots of those (potholes) in NJ-NY..:)
but totally agree with the Creator on this one.

Back