co-packer Co-Packers in Northern or Central, NJ (or surrounding area's)

So, a buddy of mine reccomended Ultimate Foods in New Haven, CT for a small run bottling (50 cases minimum)...

1. Is there anyone out there who will do less then 50 cases? 25 even? I know price breaks and lower costs come with bulk volume, but I simply can't afford to shell out for 50 cases at the moment. I'm not so much concerned with profit at this juncture as I am with simply getting my name out their and building my 'brand'.  If not, who does everyone like in my neck of the woods?

2. Do I simply do it my self at a co-op kitchen? Who do I contact in NJ to find out specific and exact procedures of what I need to do on my end to make all this happen on the up and up?

Hi GeminiCrow,

There are several threads in the food business forum expanding on this topic in more detail.  Basically, start local.  Contact your local health district (city, county or state depending on where you live) and talk to them about what's required.  Different jurisdictions require different things.  They would also be the most likely to know of shared use kitchens or other facilities that would be available for you to rent.  If the city health department isn't the one who would do your licensing, they will refer you to the state, usually the Dept of Ag...but once again, it varies from place to place.   

They would also be the most likely to know of other co-packers in your area.  Some other businesses on the east coast use Endorphin Farm in Florida but I don't know what their minimums are.

Good Luck! 

When we were researching the lowest minimum I found on a co-packer was 95gal which equates to approx 190 cases. We looked into the co-op kitchen but as we both have crazy full time jobs we decided that for us the Co-pack route was the best and we could concentrate more on the marketing.

Back