co-packer Co-packers...What to look for?

I have a meeting with a co-packer on Thursday and wondering if there are any specifics to look for. There are the basics I'm sure, clean inspectable production site, non-disclosure contract, capacity for your volume (or lack of. I'm sure I push the minimum limits, I met with one who purported to do small runs, yeah a 500 gal. small run.), and services such as lableing, nut.vals, storeage etc. Other than politcal affilation and having good taste in music what else should I ask about?

Also the owner/operator of the facility has his own line of hot sauces. How can I be sure mine will be made the way I want them. Is there some kind of competion thing? Any thoughts on this?

Hey Chef

This is coming from a newbie, and we are still doing some fine tuning with our copacker. Make sure your confidentiality agreement has NO holes in it. Also I would suggest some add on about end results of the batches, what you are willing to accept (like if the taste, consistancy, color) doesnt meet your standards, you should be able to refuse the batch. I know alot of copackers will tell you where to go with that one and if they do, then they probably arent capable of producing a your sauce to your (I assume) high standards. And by NO means let them talk you into using different ingredients, stay true to YOUR original recipes (even if the cost is a tad more). Once you start interviewing copackers you will see just how different each one is, hopefully you will find someone who you feel can make the product as if you were making it yourself, dont jump on the first one.. take your time, it will be well worth the effort.
Hope this helps

Chef, the most important piece of advice that I could give you before you sit down with the co-packer?

KNOW YOUR PRODUCTION COSTS!

Good luck to you. Let me know when your line is ready, I'll trade you.

T

Thanks,

Onehottamale, I think your right. I feel I would be just too excited about having a co-packer and jump into bed too quickly. Plus I'm using some funky product, Asian pears, kumquats, etc. I'm sure he is going to scream.

T, For production costs: Product costs, bottle/cap/neck shrink cost, label cost. What am I missing? Should I figure labor cost, storage? To this point the later was free becuse it's all me.

Chef
Your copacker should break it down to a "per unit" fee. at least that is how mine does it. It is easier to figure out my costs later on or mark ups, wholesale price and dist wholesale price. I dont know where you are located, but if you want I can give you the name of my copacker and he can give you TONS of info (the reason why we chose him) and he also works in small batches.. you can email me at Lisa@threehottamales.com if you want any additional info or for anything else I can help you with..

OneHot,

I believe you use that guy in VT. I sent an email and never heard back. Nice photos on your site, look like tons of fun. A big part of my love is the cooking process and I would be sad to give that part up, but I'm sick of being the starving artist and I have an increaing demand. I'm even putting off a meeting with a local retailor because I can't keep up with demand. I can't sell what I don't have.

Congrats to you guys. How's that work? Start the business in June and be all big time, scovie and all six months later. Nice work ladies!

Hey Chef

Never put off a retailer, just explain to them the situation you are in, it can only make you and your product seem in more demand. As far as the copacker goes, I will talk to Jeff today and give him a heads up, forget the email,just call the phone #'s on the website (tell him you spoke to me , Lisa). He is super understanding and a regular down to earth guy who will listen to your needs and try his best to achieve what it is you want with your products. He kept us very involved in the process (we even helped make the first test batch) so we felt that being hands on gave us more comfort in seeing that our product was made just like it has been made in our kitchen, just on a grander scale. Good luck on the interview today, let us know how it goes..

Lisa

Back