misc co packers

not sure if this is in right forum? I finally found a descent co packer. What i didnt ask, and probably should of, is what info of theirs is on the bottle? What can and should i request they not put on there?

Seems you should talk to them not us.

It will say something like "Manufactured by ___ for ___."

are they making your labels? I'm thinking the person you need to talk to is the regulatory agency, the health district, the state food processors agency, those are the ones who dictate what needs to be on the label and how it needs to be laid out. Is a PO Box address OK, or does it have to be the physical address of the processing plant? or both?

Don't know anything about the co-packer, but usually it's something simple like what THP posted. HOWEVER, if left to the co-packer, why wouldn't they get as much info about their business on the label as they can?

Have you already done the product with the co-packer?

are they making your labels? I'm thinking the person you need to talk to is the regulatory agency, the health district, the state food processors agency, those are the ones who dictate what needs to be on the label and how it needs to be laid out. Is a PO Box address OK, or does it have to be the physical address of the processing plant? or both?

Don't know anything about the co-packer, but usually it's something simple like what THP posted. HOWEVER, if left to the co-packer, why wouldn't they get as much info about their business on the label as they can?

Have you already done the product with the co-packer?

Not yet..It will be my art work and labels. This is a non starter..i was pretty clear on that if they wanted my business it WILL be my label and info..Now i do realize they have to have their name on it somewhere for legal reasons, but im standing firm on them not hogging all the info..like you said, what good does it do if people buy it and go to them bypassing me in the process. My guess is the co packer will have the fact they bottled it but not much else. Either that or they risk losing business.

Hi jeffh,
We're a regional co packer Florida, and this is a question that is fairly frequent. Maybe the below explanation will help.

While a physical address of someone who knows about the product, be it the distributor, packer or manufacturer, must be on the bottle, the manufacturer is not required to list any information (though it is customary to put their company name and some contact info in small print, for legal protection ). Something along the lines of Manufactured for Enterprise X, (X enterprise address and phone number) by Copacker Y (Copacker Y website) would be acceptable.

The idea is to make sure there is a way for consumers to have quick direct contact with someone regarding the product in the event of health concerns. There is certainly no reason a copacker should take up more than a small portion, perhaps a few percent, of your label space.

The rules can be a bit odd, so let me point you to the FDA online guide:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodLabelingNutrition/FoodLabelingGuide/ucm064866.htm

Here's our website, maybe we can help you in the future, good luck.

http://www.copack.com/

My experience is that I was responsible for the label creation, but my co-packer "owned" the ingredients list.

My label says "made for Lucky Dog Hot Sauce" - that was the requirement. If someone asks who made it i'll tell them, but it's not necessary.

AC@IPAC nailed it - there's no need to list the co-packer's address. I've seen it on other products (e.g. made by _____ for _____ with an address) but this is totally not required. My bottles will have a website. My website will have an about page. My about page will indicate who my co-packer is. Done deal.

Good luck! It's a long and windy road you're going down - I am 4/5 of the way to the finish line myself so I know all too well. Enjoy the next few months of relative peace, because when you get near the end all kinds of crap hits the fan. hahaha

Back