• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

coffee grounds

What is the benefit/detriment to adding coffee grounds as a soil additive?
If its beneficial I have access to quite a bit that I can save up over the winter and mix in for the spring planting

Thanks in advance

http://www.professorshouse.com/Your-Home/Gardening-Plants/Gardening/Articles/Effect-of-Coffee-Grounds-on-Plant-Soil/ or you can find other links via google. I for one don't believe what they say there about coffee grounds stopping snails as I've seen them crawl across it :D That said, I mix in my compost and add very little around the top soil before I'd ever throw it away.

I threw about 5lbs of spent coffee grounds from Starbucks on top of my now empty garden, along with some old veggie scraps and tossed the whole bunch with the old straw mulch. Hopefully it'll have lots of time to break down over the winter and I'll have lots of happy worms come spring.

when you use them its rings the dinner bell for the worms!! and they love um!! also they leave little presents packed with nutrients their castings
it is true slugs and snails hate them, it actually repels them somewhat
you cant go wrong with them i use them everywhere, i get mine from work almost every night, Home depot puts out complimentary coffee for there contractor customers, i have my mom and my sister saving them for me too

they also put a small amount of acids and other nutrients in the soil but its best to lest the worms eat them they giveback more to you from the stuff they eat, at least this has been my experience

hope this helps

thanks your Friend joe

when you use them its rings the dinner bell for the worms!! and they love um!! also they leave little presents packed with nutrients their castings
it is true slugs and snails hate them, it actually repels them somewhat
you cant go wrong with them i use them everywhere, i get mine from work almost every night, Home depot puts out complimentary coffee for there contractor customers, i have my mom and my sister saving them for me too

they also put a small amount of acids and other nutrients in the soil but its best to lest the worms eat them they giveback more to you from the stuff they eat, at least this has been my experience

hope this helps

thanks your Friend joe

I grow in pots so the worms can't really help me much, but good to know for future :)

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]I actually have worms in my pots.[/background]

Okay Chris, spill the beans. What is the real advantage of wanting worms in pots vs using fertilizers to replenish the potting soil?

Next year, I plan on having quite a few plants in 5-10 gal containers and want the best soil possible, much like the OP i'm sure.

Okay Chris, spill the beans. What is the real advantage of wanting worms in pots vs using fertilizers to replenish the potting soil?

Next year, I plan on having quite a few plants in 5-10 gal containers and want the best soil possible, much like the OP i'm sure.
I didn't put them in my pots, somehow they made their way there. I can say the soil is beyond black and my plants are very happy. These were not pots with peppers however but next season I am going to do about 20 pots with pepper plants to protect them from the crazy spring winds here.

I usually make coffee everyday and use the natural brown coffee filters,both get added to my compost and to my recycled soil bins.The worms break it down and convert it to Nitrogen for you and the filter is a source of carbon as well!

Back