coffee-tea Coffee

What roast do yall favor? I like a light roast for now. I am going t give some of the others a fair shake since I am really new to drinking quality stuff.

SavinaRed, on 17 Feb 2016 - 6:43 PM, said:

Agreed I just finished with a pound of the Kenya AA and it is something I will be reordering for sure. And my favorites so far have been the 2 Ethiopian's I've tried. The Yirga and the Sidamo. Both of those were dry processed rather than wet processed.

If you can get some I would suggest trying  Ethiopian Harrar .  My local roaster isn't carrying it at the moment but I love it whenever they do get some. 

Ashen said:

SavinaRed, on 17 Feb 2016 - 6:43 PM, said:

Agreed I just finished with a pound of the Kenya AA and it is something I will be reordering for sure. And my favorites so far have been the 2 Ethiopian's I've tried. The Yirga and the Sidamo. Both of those were dry processed rather than wet processed.

If you can get some I would suggest trying  Ethiopian Harrar .  My local roaster isn't carrying it at the moment but I love it whenever they do get some. 

I will order some of that when I get low on beans. I found a few places online that carry it. 

Tried my Cold Extract city roast this morning with my Sunday Pancakes :)
Very nice medium body smokey semi sweet, nice amber colour, very light bitterness aftertaste.
3day soak, will do the Vienna roast I did next.

P2218524_CityRoastColdExtract-800_zpsozmdl2r8.jpg

dragonsfire said:
Tried my Cold Extract city roast this morning with my Sunday Pancakes :)
Very nice medium body smokey semi sweet, nice amber colour, very light bitterness aftertaste.
3day soak, will do the Vienna roast I did next.

I was just popping into this thread to ask if you guys ever try cold brewing since I'm currently hooked on it lol. I usually go for a french press grind and about a 24 hr extraction at room temp in my 32oz french press, 12 hr if I forget to start it and want some for work the next morning. I experimented with finer grind and shorter extract time and running the result through a paper filter but it wasn't worth the extra hassle.

Normally drink it iced with just a touch of milk but sometimes mix the concentrate with a bit of hot water from a kettle and drink it hot & black. To me cold brewed coffee comes out tasting as close to the way fresh ground coffee beans smell as you can get. 

I've even found some cold brewed coffee by Cuvee here in Austin on nitrogen tap at some local bars. The nitrogen gives it a really rich & creamy mouthfeel kinda like a stout beer and it's really good. They also sell it by the can but I haven't tried that yet. 

http://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/9/2/9244337/what-is-nitro-coffee

TEVjJCvh.png

I make that, here, and it's great ...

The softness from the nitrogenation is creamy, and allows me to have any coffee beyond my 1st of the day, as a diet-version that doesn't completely suck ...

I use less than half the sugar and/or cream in N versions =)

dragonsfire said:
Interesting concept, would love to try that Nitro :)

whipping canister with nitrogen charger instead of CO2 works just fine =)

you want to first bleed off most of the 600+ psi with it upright, then flip it and use the little bit you left behind to push the liquid out slowly ...

there's a pick around here of me filling a mug with stout mousse from not venting enough of the pressure before dispensing ...

grantmichaels said:

whipping canister with nitrogen charger instead of CO2 works just fine =)

you want to first bleed off most of the 600+ psi with it upright, then flip it and use the little bit you left behind to push the liquid out slowly ...

there's a pick around here of me filling a mug with stout mousse from not venting enough of the pressure before dispensing ...

So just to make sure I'm following here you use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/iSi-Cream-Professional-Whipper-2416/dp/B0001MRZWI

And do you use a nitrous oxide (N2O) cartridge just like you would use for whipped cream or do they have pure N2 cartridges available?

Might have to pick up the equipment and try this at home.

Hmmmm I might have to give this cold brew a try but not with the co2. Just the normal 24 hour room temp process in my bodum press.

TXCG said:

So just to make sure I'm following here you use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/iSi-Cream-Professional-Whipper-2416/dp/B0001MRZWI

And do you use a nitrous oxide (N2O) cartridge just like you would use for whipped cream or do they have pure N2 cartridges available?

Might have to pick up the equipment and try this at home.

Yup.

Pre-chill the canister in the fridge to keep as much CO2 in solution and so the beer's temp doesn't leach into the metal ...

Screw in a nitrous charger ...

Slosh around a bit ... at this point you can put it in the fridge and dispense later, or dispense straight away ...

Vent a bunch of pressure with it upright, but not all of it, so you have a little pressure left to dispense it ...

Turn it upside down and dispense into the side of the glass about an inch down from the top ...

Nitro beer .... at home.

Cold Extract Vienna Roast (Guatemalan). 1.3oz/1L 3 day soak (and shake).
Very nice, full body, smokey, lightly sweet, liquid slightly thick, don't know how else to describe it, light charcoal aftertaste, very light bitter aftertaste :)
Definitely the way to drink a dark roast for me.

P2258802_ViennaRaost-1000_zpswmf5hscb.jpg

So in my brief expanded experience in New Coffee flavors I found I love the Guatamala, Dominican and third Yirgacheffe, gonna do my second roast of the Yirgacheffe shortly.
Im drinking allot more then I used to unfortunately lol, main problem is the coffee is so smooth and rich that Its had to sip and end up with a nice mouth full, so the mug does not last lol
Also to my surprise the coffee does affect my sleep like the commercial stuff. The Decaff so far not "Smooth" probably overdone, did another batch that is a proper city roast so will try it this afternoon (2days) but right now their more like charcoal aftertaste, "Swiss water" better then the "regular", still better then the commercial ones but night and day to the full caff versions ive made.
Anyways, my 2cents :)

Wow my son just came home from Nashville and brought some of the best coffee I've ever tasted in my life but its really rare and hard to find. It is called Deri Kochoha which is an Ethiopian variety. Amazing taste and its very unique. 

Back