• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Colorado State Ext. Says Chlorine in Tap is Negligible

I'm inclined to agree, in instances where a population is already established.  But I think if you are starting an AACT or trying to innoculate seedlings, then it's still probably best to de-chlorinate your tap water.  In the case of water treated with chloramine (which my city does), you can use humic acid to neutralize it.

compmodder26 said:
I'm inclined to agree, in instances where a population is already established.  But I think if you are starting an AACT or trying to innoculate seedlings, then it's still probably best to de-chlorinate your tap water.  In the case of water treated with chloramine (which my city does), you can use humic acid to neutralize it.
Vitamin C is cheaper and easier.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Vitamin C is cheaper and easier.

I can buy water soluble humic at kelp4less for 7.95 for 8 ounces.  I make a concentrate of 4 tbsp per 1 quart of water.  I made 1 batch of concentrate last year and it lasted me up until last week.  I made a new batch, and still have enough in the bag to make 2 more batches.  So that seems economical enough to me.

With the concentrate, all I do is pour a very small amount into the tap water.  I also use it to give a little humic boost to rain water I use.

compmodder26 said:

I can buy water soluble humic at kelp4less for 7.95 for 8 ounces.  I make a concentrate of 4 tbsp per 1 quart of water.  I made 1 batch of concentrate last year and it lasted me up until last week.  I made a new batch, and still have enough in the bag to make 2 more batches.  So that seems economical enough to me.

With the concentrate, all I do is pour a very small amount into the tap water.  I also use it to give a little humic boost to rain water I use.
That's cool since you already have it. I have a big bottle of 500 mg Vitamin C from Costco so I am using it for neutralizing the chloramine in our water. I have heard some people over on another forum say that they use water straight from the tap with no ill effects so it makes you wonder. I guess it's inexpensive insurance to just treat it.

It very well may not be needed, but as you said, it provides a bit of insurance.  Also for me, the humic acid also provides a load of extra benefits to the plants as well (more efficient use of existing nutrients, and increased immunity to disease, being some of the most notable ones)

Oh seriously? I had no idea. Would liquid karma work good? It has humic acid.

Learn something new every day Lol.

-Walt

My municipally treated tap water has given me no problems germinating or growing.  However it is slightly alkaline and rain water helps the plants absorb nutrients due to a lower pH.   In other words I would not want to grow inside using only tap water without some type of acidic pH modifier, or a generous amount of peat or other high surface area, woody material in the soil to gradually lower the pH.

In a pinch, even vinegar would work but all of them will kill a plant if an excessive amount is used.

Dave2000 said:
My municipally treated tap water has given me no problems germinating or growing.  However it is slightly alkaline and rain water helps the plants absorb nutrients due to a lower pH.   In other words I would not want to grow inside using only tap water without some type of acidic pH modifier, or a generous amount of peat or other high surface area, woody material in the soil to gradually lower the pH.

In a pinch, even vinegar would work but all of them will kill a plant if an excessive amount is used.
Are you aware that the plant is able to adjust the pH on it's own without your intervention? That is exactly what happens in a healthy soil food web. :)

Proud Marine Dad said:
Are you aware that the plant is able to adjust the pH on it's own without your intervention? That is exactly what happens in a healthy soil food web. :)

That's not entirely accurate, unless what you mean is that to have a healthy soil food web you already had to have a pH within the right range.

I mean you can't just toss an excessive amount of any random thing in the pot and think the plant will fix that for you.  More likely it will stunt if not kill the plant, and the soil food web.

Back