• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Commercial Dried Bhut Jolkia Source

Hey I found some Dried Bhut Jolokia from India at my market today (Econo Foods) and they are new so I thought I would let the community they are available. I looked the importer up and this is who imports them:
http://www.melissas....kia-Chiles.aspx
They are selling them 3ea 0.25 oz for $11.80 and I got mine at Econo for 3.99 a 0.25 oz. because they were just trying them out.

The drying process looks good with the pod well dried and leathery in consistency without being wet. Just a tough dried pod.
CIMG6662-1.jpg

I slit the peppers and extracted the seed because I want to evaluate their viability and germination properties for a future posting. Took a pin headed sized piece of the pepper and placed it on my tongue for a taste test :hell: That was Too Much for me and I had to spit it out and eat a lot of sour cream for a while. Sucker is hot as :twisted: No Kidding.
CIMG6663.jpg

I then warmed up some olive oil---about 1.5 oz---and seeped a Dried Bhut Jolokia in the oil for about an hour on a very slow fire so the oil would not burn. After that I decanted the oil into a small bottle I had and tasted that oil.
CIMG6597.jpg

The oil was mild tasting with a little bit of flavor sweet/smoky taste for about 30 seconds and then it hit the back of my throat and a little on my tongue and mouth. Not real bad just a nice hot heat and the oil tasted good. :clap:

Then to use up the oil I had left in the pan I decided to make up some corn taco burritos with beans and a commercial Woosy chili meat. While I was making the tacos I got some beans on my fingers and I licked them off :crazy: Remember what I was doing with my fingers earlier :sick: This was not good.

After that I stuck my fingers into the sour cream and sucked the cream off the fingers and put it on my lips a few times till I was starting to get a little taste back. By now I was sweating and my nose was running so I wiped my forehead and blew my running nose :oops: Opps; I still had pepper on my fingers. :fireball: So now my nose is burning; so I go after the sour cream again. Then I had to pee; Want me to continue :banghead:

Lesson---wear gloves when working with Bhut Jolokia or Wash hands A lot and over and over again.

Them is some dangerous wicked peppers :eek:

They sell something similar at central market here. Personally i do not like how the dry peppers look dark and burnt. I think they use a really high heat and it looses its nice red color. They should use low heat to dry.

They sell something similar at central market here. Personally i do not like how the dry peppers look dark and burnt. I think they use a really high heat and it looses its nice red color. They should use low heat to dry.

I am going to test the ability to germinate the seeds and the length of time to germinate these seeds to see if they are viable. The test is also a test to determine the germination time versus heat time at 120 degrees. That is because the seeds that I overheated all came up in like 12-15 days and the ones that I kept at 85 still have not germinated except one.

I will post whatever I find in a couple weeks. :lol:

Later
Balac :beer:

Back