artwork Company Logo critique

I am going to use as company logo

Attachments

• tmp_Djinn Base TEXT-1114950613.png
    tmp_Djinn Base TEXT-1114950613.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 71
djinn said:
Yes please I now see that auto correct might have made it a little. Confusing.
You can edit the first post and go to full edit to fix the title. 

For me, not a fan of blue on pepper labels, especially that bright and distracting. I would never guess that was a pepper sauce company at first glance without reading. Best of luck!

Constructive criticism: very juvenile, would appeal to young kids, not adult heat seekers.

Thematically not terrible but needs a lot of revision. A bad ass fire-&-brimstone djinn with lightning shooting out of his fingers could work, but I believe there is already a company with a bad ass djinn logo (I recall seeing a label for it here at THP, maybe a review too - can't recall the name)

Not what I would consider a professional looking logo. Needs a lot of work.  

My $.02

If you hired someone, get a new artist, if you did that, bite the bullet and hire someone. Will make all the difference.

LD was talking about this. Now compare.

zoltons.jpg

All very good input thank you.

It was originally hand draw then made digital ,I was trying to keep it simple for printing costs guess I will have to rethink that idea. I was never intended to be used as bottle art as a main piece of the bottle label. Although I might have to rethink that idea too. To be fair the artist I did get to do this for me did exactly what I asked for. I was unsure if what I think a image of a djinn was might be to much for the general public.I have now been corrected and I thank you for that!
In closing all input good bad is always good!

Kevin

Too simple for my taste. I am not saying simple is bad, sometimes it works great, but not here.

Here is an idea though. Hiring someone is a good first step, but you may be getting only one persons talent and ability and it could be expensive as you are now possibly working with a professional.

Instead, consider this.
There are a lot of talented youth out there with a passion for graphic art. I would get in contact with the arts dept at a few high schools and discus what you are looking for with the instructors. They will have first hand knowledge of the ability of their students.
You may get exactly what you are looking for for a lot less than hiring a professional. If your company is successful, the students work is immortalized on your product.

DISCLAIMER!  I'm not a graphics or advertising person!!!  There are other pros in those areas that can give you specifics of why something on a label works or doesn't. 

First impressions---as they happened---

initial look at design- yea, looked like WordPaint or something, then I made the connection of your login name to the label....

What's a djinn?  (is it pronounced da-GIN, D'hyin, de-Yin,  du-ZSCHINN??)

So I wiki'd it-
"Djinn are humanoid creatures with tattooed skin that prefer to live in large ruins with a lot of places to hide.[1] They feed on human blood and can poison their victims with a touch. Their poison causes reality-altering hallucinations and can be used either to kill their victims quickly,[2] or to leave victims in a coma-like state while the djinn feeds on their blood over a long period of time.[1]
Djinn are best classified as genies and are able to read a person's mind to learn their deepest desires; however, the djinn do not truly grant wishes like the genies of lore. Instead, they send their victims into a fantasy universe where they believe their wish has been granted while the djinn can drink their blood slowly over the course of days. Time passes slowly enough in the fantasy universe that the djinn's victims will feel as if they're living an entire lifetime before their physical bodies die.[1]
When djinn access their powers, either their eyes and hands glow blue,[1] or their tattoos move and extend down their arms.[2]
There is a variant form that possesses the same powers and weaknesses, but turns the victim's insides to "jelly" and feeds on fear rather than happiness. To this effect, they trap people in hallucinations of their worst nightmares rather than their happy dreams"

Wow.  So after that quick Wiki learning experience... which is the first thing I know about a djinn....not sure I want a false genie promising something and not delivering.

THP posted the other label which has a genie on it.  It seems pretty obvious but maybe research Pepper Genie and use a female genie smoking out of the chile holding a bottle of sauce looking all seductive...promising to "fulfill all your tastebuds' desires"...

Prolly too cliché and I'd be surprised if it hasn't been done before.

Your brand name/Product Line/Business Name needs to be very clear and easy to understand.  Zolton's may be a reference to a mythical whatever, and the graphics brings in Moroccan genie, but it is also close enough to a real person's name that I could go with it when buying a sauce.  "Zoltan's BBQ Sauce" ...if the label graphics worked, I could get that name to work.  Pepper Djinn......

(side note- my kid just came in and I asked him about djinn, and he said- "they are like genies but are bad, mythical, but there are worse names  for a sauce like SofaKing.."  He wouldn't have a trouble with the name...)

sorry to get all convoluted there...  back on track- the name PepperDjinn with the image of a genie, I can kinda get it, but when looking up a djinn, a djinn doesn't sould like a good person. 

"Djinn Peppers" I would assume Djinn was a person's name and move on and buy or not based on the rest of the package and color, descriptions etc... 

Also, the kid said the djinn looked like a worm coming out of the chile, not like vapor/smoke from a genie's lantern. 

Think about what you want to do with your product(s).  Do you have one thing/sauce?  Where do you want to go?  Planning on going commercial and selling legit or just giving away to family and friends?  How many different products will you have?  sauce-dry rubs-bbq-powders----  where do you want to go?

Design a brand/brand name and logo that will work with where you want to go long term, easily recognizable, easily reproducible in various mediums,

Good Luck!

Salsalady,

Wow never looked at it in that way at all.now I really have to think this out completely. I have used djinn as a screen name for games etc for so many years that it never really occurred to me that other people might not understand how to say it or what it is.
I am not sure if I totally want to abandon it but your input really has me rethinking the name.
Thank you for that!
The artwork would be easy to rework into what a traditional djinn would look like (and I wanted to do that but I thought it would be misunderstood) but I now know it would have been a better image.

I am starting a hot sauce company to start and moving up from there as I can. So now I am thinking I might need to rethink the name.

Thank you everyone for your input.
It is helping a great deal with what I am trying to launch this fall.
Only bad thing is I am now lots further behind than I thought I was.

Kevin

djinn said:
Thank you everyone for your input.
It is helping a great deal with what I am trying to launch this fall.
Only bad thing is I am now lots further behind than I thought I was.

Kevin

To go from "I've been making sauce for 7+ years, I've got a bunch of great recipes and now think I'll start a hot sauce company" to actually doing it was a 2+ year process.

Graphic design took me 6+ months, and I've revised my labels a few times to continue to fine-tune things. 

Your branding is the absolute last thing you should rush. It is the face of your company. 

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
To go from "I've been making sauce for 7+ years, I've got a bunch of great recipes and now think I'll start a hot sauce company" to actually doing it was a 2+ year process.

Graphic design took me 6+ months, and I've revised my labels a few times to continue to fine-tune things. 

Your branding is the absolute last thing you should rush. It is the face of your company.

I have had great reviews from people that are friends family(not that they know the business but) I totally got the exact opposite of what I have gotten here. I just got off of a long bike ride,to think this out. I thought a lot about what has been said. I think that I am going to have to still stick with my pepper djinn name.

I went with a simple djinn kinda cartoon idea because of cost. a real djinn in real terms is evil. It all depends on h ow far back and what good book you want to read. But there are many stories about a djinn/genie,it is all in what you want to believe in.(I dream in genie)

I after my ride am thinking that I will still play off of the the thought of a genie/djinn i Will. Give you a wish of something with the cost of something.

My thought is you wanted hot and spicy and got way more then you bit off, that pain in the burn is your price you paid.

The logo that will be redesigned will not be the focal point of my sauces

Each sauce will get its own design from what it is made of.

I will have the flag ship djinns 7 pot insanity sauce but any other sauce I have will have its own graphic that will describe what's in it.

Not to sure th u s is a good idea but

Kevin
Btw I totally respect everyone's option and input, but I really think that I am going to go against the grain. It might be a suicide plan but.

Kevin

Going against the grain to do your own idea = ok. Only one person wasn't a fan of the concept (though like I said, it's already been done, and a lot cooler than yours - see THP's post) 

Going against the grain to have a crappy looking label = suicide. 

There are things you can cut corners with - branding isn't one of them. Good luck. 

I ain't got no problem with a pepper djinn... this is the hot sauce industry, the industry of flames, and devils, and metal!! Because we roll like that. So if he's a good djinn, or evil, who cares? The evil may even play better.

salsalady has "Pure Evil" so not sure why she's opposed to an evil genie.

My issue was with the logo that looks like clipart. The primary colors, the thin black outline, the way it's drawn, etc. It's flat. It's amateurish. Like others said... looks like a gif made in 1996 in MS paint. No offense. But it has that feel.

I have no issue with simple either. The best logos in the world are simple! The golden arches are simple. But done right. Simple is not the issue... in fact I don't really consider this simple, it's a djinn wrapped around a pepper circled by your name with mixed fonts. The only things making it simple are the colors, depth, and skill, so it stands out as just being bad. You say it's not going to be on the bottle, but be your company brand. So? Care just as much for the company logo.

Keep on your path man! You'll get there. Keep us posted.

I did have my eyes opened to what I had tried to keep simple, isn't going to work. I just have to get my logo worked a lot and now said by someone else I see that t isn't even close to finished.

I By no means think that anything said here is anything but good.

I By no way in any way want to disrespect anybody's opinion on experience with this market.

I couldn't be happier with your help give me a month and we will be hopefully be saying good things with what I will be back with.

You have no idea how much all input I have gotten he here really means.

Just give me time I will be back with a much improved logo.

Kevin

I never thought you were upset or took it the wrong way.

To me it's a concept. Someone's idea of what they want but can't do themselves. Like drawing on a napkin but better. Then you give it to an artist and bam... it looks sick. At least this provides a starting point instead of words.

When it looks like this I will like it. :D

(Not for the company logo... for the bottle)

djinn.jpg

To be honest that is my kinda djinn, I have already started the ball rolling

I could not be more pleased with all the help and advice that you all have given me.
Do not in any way shape or form think I ever had a feeling hurt or felt insulted in any way.
You folks are the best

Kevin

I'm not opposed to genie or djinn, evil or otherwise.  Like THP said, I have Pure Evil and yea, evil/hell/devil names are all over the spicy food industry.  I was only commenting I didn't know what a djinn was and when I looked it up, the notes said it poisoned people. 

My BRAND NAME is "Texas Creek" and is on all my products, and I have one product (Pure Evil) that is potentially offensive.  That one product is marketed to the extreme chilehead market so the potential for offense is negligible because that market is used to extreme names. 

As a sauce maker and product marketer, you have to think long term about who will be buying your products and where they will be marketed.  The general public is not so receptive to labels and names that include devil/hell/evil.  You'll never see names like Ass Reamer Hot Sauce or Satan's Taint Beef Jerky at WholeFoods, supermarkets or high end gourmet food stores.  Those kinds of names are offensive to a large segment of the customer base and stores won't bring it in.  Even customers at farmers markets will be turned off by that.   

If you intent to only sell to the very small market of extreme chileheads who aren't offended by things like that, then that's fine.  But that's quite limiting for your customer base.  My son (age 10-ish at the time) was collecting hot sauces and his uncle gave him a bottle of WhoopAss hot sauce.  He eventually got rid of it because he wasn't allowed to say "ass" and didn't want it in his room.  At that time, I made the commitment to never have a sauce named something my son couldn't or wouldn't be able to say. 

just some things to consider.  Good Luck~ :)    

Back