• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Complete & utter failure

well,

I tried my hand at drying peppers in an unconventional way. I was following a local pepper growers advice.... OOOOPPSSS.

He had told me to BBQ them after the coals are well used... So I did a barbeque on labor day & tried it, indirect heat mind you. Big mistake. Used every last pepper i had & none of them are useable :censored:

guess it is time to invest in a dehydrator. :rolleyes:

CayenneLover

Sorry to hear this CL. I'd tell the person you got the advice from that he owes you a couple of peppers.

Good luck on the shopping.

Slap the dude what told ya to do it that way in the face with a wet fish. It will not help the situation however it will make you feel better :P

Silver_Surfer said:
Sad news, maybe next time moy will let you borrow his IDS. :D

Well that came out of no where...:)

Mate sorry to hear that. It's always a bummer when you loose all your chillis like that.......Live and learn I guess.

Thank you all... yes, lesson learned. As far as buying a dehydrator... I gonna get whatever I can find. No credit card & don't trust Paypal. At a later date I will pick something else up.. Even if that means getting one of those pre-paid credit cards to do it.

Diablo said:
That sux dude. Lesson learned.

What makes them unusable?

They turned out pretty torched.. even though I was using indirect heat. After grinding, I tried a bit of it & was less than desirable.. pretty nasty :( wont take that jerks advice again. :banghead:

I don't know what you grew, but do a ristra next time and don't pay attention to your friend on the subject of chiles.

Unless your chiles are thick-fleshed, you don't need a dehydrator.

willard3 said:
I don't know what you grew, but do a ristra next time and don't pay attention to your friend on the subject of chiles.

Unless your chiles are thick-fleshed, you don't need a dehydrator.

Yea, Being new to growing all I had was a strain of Cayenne, Very thin walls. Next year, I will be widening my selection. That is the reason behind getting the dehydrator.

As far as the ristra goes, i live in a very humid environment & I may try hanging them up in the house.. But not sure how effective that would be.

Until you get a dehydrator you can dry them in the oven.
Place peppers on middle shelf, set oven to 100 degrees and place a spoon in the door so it doesn't close all the way. Keep an eye on them and they should dry in a couple of hours or so. Makes the house smell fantastic. This is how I used to dry them prior to purchasing a dehydrator.

Back